9

"y/n! where have you been?!" gou shrieks, on your ass as soon as you're within earshot.

you shake your head, offering a weak shrug. you shake the bag of cookies in your hand  and when gou gets close enough, you open the bag to offer her one.

"ooh! these look good. where'd you get them?" ms. A questions, following gou's lead and reaching inside the bag for a cookie.

"they are good. but y/n, cookies doesn't explain why you took so long." gou gave you a suspicious look, eyeing you carefully. you chuckle softly, and move to sit down in the seat you'd left empty.

"yeah, i ran into rin." you tell her as she takes a seat in her chair beside you. she gasps. "he gave me a real explanation for leaving me. he asked if we could be friends again."

the female matsuoka squeals excitedly, bouncing in her seat. "and what did you say?!"

you sighed, scraping the back of your neck awkwardly. "i said no, of course."

gou's bouncing stops and the excitement in her face disappears. "but why?" she asks, a scornful expression taking over.

"because he comes back from australia and thinks he's some hotshot now. i'm sorry gou, i know he's your brother, but i don't want to be friends with someone who acts like they're above everyone else cause they were lucky enough to have a chance at something no one else did. i can't support someone who treats the people they used to care about like garbage." you tell her, grabbing her hands and squeezing them gently.

gou nods, but you can see the disappointment. "so you said no because of the way he's treating haruka and the others?"

you nod, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. "yeah, i did. i won't be his friend if he's being an ass to my other friends." you explain, searching gou's eyes for any trace of insult. she doesn't appear to be offended by what you'd said. "you pickin' up what i'm puttin' down?"

gou nods, and while the disappointment is still there, so is some understanding. "i guess i can't be upset at you for that. i wouldn't want to be friends with someone if they were treating my friends like trash either."

you smile, glad that she's understands where you're coming from at least a little bit. "i told him that, too you know." gou looks at you again, raising a curious eyebrow. "i told him exactly why i couldn't be his friend. hopefully he'll try to change it. and if not, that's his own problem. his own shit to deal with."

gou nods, squeezing your hand again as she does.

"you're trying to do what you think is right. and i think that's a good thing. hopefully he learns from what you've told him." gou agrees, staring out at the water as the boys become visible once again from the horizon.

OoOoOoO

when the bots finally reach the shore, you immediately jump up, running towards them with your bag of cookies in hand and yelling at them about how pathetic they are for looking so beat down.

"have some nourishment boys!" you cheer, passing around the bag of cookies. "i bet you stupid little brats are hungry."

"starving!" nagisa shouts, taking two cookies from the bag instead of one. you laugh with him, and listen to all the talking everyone's doing.

as soon as everyone's finished the cookies, you return to your beach chair, no longer interested in conversing with anyone, and deciding you'd rather be by yourself for a few minutes.

of course, peace and quiet never comes easy when nagisa is around, and his cheering soon begins to get on your tired nerves. and it's not like you're upset with him or annoyed with him, you just really need some solitude.

standing from your chair once again, you rejoin the group for a few minutes.

"y/n, you talked to rin?" haru questions as you step up to the group. of course you rejoin at the worst possible time, but you nod anyway.

"yeah, he explained himself and said he wanted to be friends again." you shrug, placing your hands on your hip and leaning your weight onto one foot.

"what did you say?" nagisa asks, eyes filling with anticipation for your answer.

you grab him in a headlock, pulling him into your chest. "i said no of course! i won't let anyone be mean to you guys and get away with it, let alone be friends with the guy! no way!"

nagisa sniffles, looking up at you with big doe eyes. "you really said no for us?" he asks, throwing his arms around your waist squeezing you tightly. "you're the best friend ever! but we want to be friends with rin again too, so you didn't have to do that."

you laugh it off, returning nagisa's hug happily. "i can't be friends with him until he's not treating you guys badly anymore. i just can't do it."

"that's so loyal of you y/n." rei says, giving you a soft smile. you shrug, returning the smile happily.

"you didn't have to-" makoto starts, but you cut him off.

"i did. i couldn't call myself your friend if i had said yes to being his friend too." you say, punching makoto lightly in the chest.

you look at haru, who's eyeing you carefully. "what? what's the problem haruka?"

haru shrugs, stepping back and turning around. "nothing. let's get some mackerel."

you shake your head fondly at haru's words. "to be honest, i'm kind of sweaty and i feel like a shower, so i think i'm gonna head back to the lodge."

"oh, sure thing y/n. want us to wait for you or bring you anything?" mako asks, reaching out to drop a large hand onto the top of your head.

you shrug, giving him a warm smile. "i don't care, i can grab something later." you tell him, waving at the group once more before turning away.

you walk by ms. A, who's reading a book in her seat, and she tells you to get back to the lodge safely.