Chapter 48

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 8

My life after having lost Emma, was made of empty days. But that being said, even my sense of time became dim and I had no clue how long I had been alone. Before I knew it, the people who could “see” me completely disappeared. Until now, although they were scarce, they had been cases of people coincidentally meeting eyes with me. But unnoticed, such a thing didn’t occur any more. In other words, I think it meant that people who owned magic power died out. There may not be anyone who could use magic anymore. 

While the occupation of being a magician still barely exist, it was treated the same way as being an illusionist. Only children who tend to daydream would say they could use magic. If an adult were to claim that, people would laugh at him with scorn. The world changed like this. The era changed, between the lump of magic power I was and “the world” a huge estrangement came to be. Maybe, even I, myself, was no longer existing anywhere anymore. Eventually, I started to think this. The scenery I was seeing, the sound I was hearing, maybe everything was only an illusion, maybe all this time I had been dreaming of them. Surely, that must be it. If it wasn’t the case, “what” the hell did I become? ...... It was when I was thinking of such things...

I came across “that.”

In the big city of a certain country, when I was being jolted by the heavy traffic, unsteadily ridding on the wind, I felt like something was calling me and I entered the back of an alley. Even though I knew it was impossible for someone to have been calling me, nevertheless, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to check it out. Because I had so much free time after all. The gloomy alley was filled with trash and was a place completely unrelated to the notion of cleanliness. When I strained my eyes to stare into the darkness, I noticed a pair of fiery eyes shining there. As I stared at the pair of yellow pupils, a little “meow” resounded. Its long tail was slowly swaying from side to side, as it to say “you finally got here,” so I reflexively chased after it.

Although humans couldn’t perceive me, animals seemed to have more than five senses, as expected. From long ago, dogs and cats sometimes had shown reactions indicating they could see me. It was unlikely they had any magical power in them, but maybe they were simply sensitive to my presence. To begin with, it was dubious whether I could be perceived as a “human being” or not. Perhaps, in their eyes, I only looked like a strange light. I thought this latter hypothesis was more likely.

While following the unhealthy skinny cat, I felt I was being led somewhere. The fact it kept looking back, as if to confirm I was properly following it must have had some sort of meaning.

The place we eventually reached, was an old door. When I took some steps back from the way I came to look at the whole building, I noticed a small horizontal billboard by the door. The paint characters were so weathered they were completely unreadable. It looked like it would crumble in pieces if you touched it and was so worn-out it made me thing there was no meaning to having hung it there. As I was standing stock still in front of that signboard, the hinge of the door made a creaking sound. When I looked in its direction, the face of an old woman was half peering out of the opened door.

“... Is it a customer?”

Her hoarse voice echoed in the damp and dark alley. I couldn’t nod at her question because even though I understood it was some kind of shop, I had absolutely no idea what the hell they would possibly be selling there. The old building which looked so deteriorated it could collapse at any moment presented not a single distinctive feature. Then I remembered about the cat that had brought me here and my gaze loitered around, but it had gone and not a shadow was left of it.