Chapter 37

If this is the real end – 20

I know everything. So, it’s fine.

Silvia murmured so while gently grasping my hands. This face that tried to forgive everyone and anyone was half dyed in red. The red of my blood. “… There is a stain.” When I suddenly murmured that out of nowhere, my little sister smiled and nodded, “I know.” Her own tears washed away the stain on her white cheek. That appearance was so heroic it was touching, yet it was also heartbreaking.

“It’s alright big sister. I know everything so it’s fine.”

Silvia, who softly brought her face closer to mine who was still shaking, was also trembling like me. Her tender voice tickled my earlobes, oozing of kindness like the voice of a holly mother, yet it brought with it a pain that wrenched my chest. Normally at that time, the one who ought to hug the other and reassured her with words like “there is nothing to be afraid of” should be me. I was the older sister, and she was the younger one. We had always done so until now. That’s why, when she gently encouraged me by stroking my shoulder, it felt terribly uncomfortable.

I had hurt the child I ought to protect.

Because I precisely understood it in my mind, I didn’t want to stay beside her. I knew I mustn’t be such an insensible person, but I still thought I should separate from my little sister. I didn’t manage to twist this strength-less body. The tears that fell from Silvia’s cheeks soaked her shoulders, slightly dying her pale colored dress into a deeper shade. While gazing at it from the corner of my eyes, I repeatedly blinked. I wanted to once again say “I’m sorry” but the words didn’t come out. My shivering throat only leaked out a groan. Even so, Silvia replied, “I know.”

… … What on earth, do you know?

I wanted to asked her the true meaning of her words, but a low voice interrupted me, “If nothing is done soon, her life will be at risk.” When I quickly raised up my head, a person who should have been waiting in the corridor drew close to me with a grim expression. Then, wedging himself between my parents and me, he abruptly sat down. Next, he peered into mine and Silvia’s face.

“It seemed you had an important and complicated talk ongoing, so I waited in the corridor but…”

The wrinkle hand of the doctor pressed on my shoulder and pulled me apart from Silvia. Such a behavior toward a noble could be criticized but he wasn’t a person to whom you could say that. He had served our house for decades since my grand-father’s time, but even if you put that fact aside, he would still be treated with great care as a person versed in the medical arts. Because such persons were few. Moreover, when he rebuked us in a calm tone, “I want to avoid a case of a person dying from excessive blood loss under my watch,” we all the more couldn’t raise the slightest protest.

“If we do not treat her soon, it will become serious.”

In a sense, the room that had been very tumultuous until now had its mood dampened and became still as death because of the abrupt intruder. The maid waiting in the corner and even my parents were watching the doctor’s movement. It felt like everyone was holding their breaths as if to not make any sound. The air froze to the point mere breaths sounded loud. The doctor’s voice which rang out in this stillness held an unusual impressiveness. After being urged by him, “Then, hurry up, let us go,” when I unsteadily stood up, Silvia stood by my side to support my body.

Even though I was confused at this distance that seemed too close, I peeped at the profile of my little sister who was so closed I could hear her respiration. Then, I met her purple eyes which contained a pale light. I didn’t think our gazes would meet so I faltered. Even though what was directed at me was a gaze full of kindness, that didn’t give me any sense of security. An indescribable anxiety swirled in my chest, as if the ground spreading under my feet was made of glass. I understood well that Silvia held no malice. Due to her nature, tricks and plots were unlikely. But I knew that staying with my little sister wasn’t safe. At least for me, that was so. That’s why, as I hardly could bear it, I spontaneously took one step back. Soft fingers gently brushed my back as if they were chasing it. It was a gesture devoid of any trick or hidden meaning, a gesture not made because the person in question was waiting for a reward. In the places touched by these fingers, it felt like a soft sensation spread out.