Chapter 4

The Beginning – 2

"You, you killed Silvia, right ?!”

He said it in a low voice that seemed to crawl on the ground. It was a voice I had never heard until now. These words were certainly addressed to me, but it was as though they were directed at someone else. While I was still in a daze and couldn’t comprehend his meaning, the steward blandly informed me of Silvia’s death.

Hearing this, just for a instant, delight arose inside me. Now that hindrance is gone, now Soleil will look at me, now I won’t have to watch over the two persons who shared the same heart. That sweet illusion fleeted through my mind.  

But I only shivered in joy for a brief moment and was brought back to really by his voice. “It really was you.” Hearing his rough tone made my blood drain from my face.

What on earth had I been thinking?

That child was my little sister. She might have been my love rival, but even so, she was certainly my little sister. In our childhood, I had tightly grasped her tiny hand and decided to protect to the end this all too weak child. For that child’s sake, I had sworn to fulfill the role of a ‘big sister.’ Although I hadn’t been able to do it very well, although the outcome was that I had thrown away the vow of that day, but then, even so…  that child was my little sister, and I was this child’s big sister.

That child, her, Silvia had, died.

The breath leaking out of my throat made a whistling sound. The blood that had been drained from my face didn’t return to my emptied head that was pounding and fully seeking help.

“It really was you who killed her, right?!”

While looking at my expression, Soleil repeated the same words in an incoherent muttering, as if he was ascertaining his conviction. ‘You’re wrong.’ I didn’t know whether or not my muttering voice reached Soleil. ‘You’re wrong, you’re wrong.’ I must have said this any number of times, yet, Soleil threw the knife he was holding and yelled.  

“I won’t forgive you, I’ll never forgive you.”

His pupils that usually never reflected any emotion were showing a deep hatred. My lips moved to tell him to wait but I couldn’t make a single sound. It felt as if my throat was burning hot and all my words had been sealed. Soleil glanced at me, and in one breath he pulled the tablecloth of the dinner that had been swept aside and reduced to a pitiful sight. Everything that had been on that tablecloth was thrown with force on the hard floor.

A violent sound pierced my ears.

The decorating vase that had contained flowers of various hues was smashed up. Since it had been the first time in a while that we would have dinner together, these flowers had been personally prepared by me. As Soleil had been excessively busy, I had thought I mustn’t let his spirits dampen, so I had gathered many flowers of warm colors. But in order for it to not become too gaudy neither too simple, I had assembled them with great care.

The dinner that was scattered on the marble floor had been something I prepared many days before after having consulted the head cook at several occasions. I had thought that Soleil would probably be tired, so I had ordered nourishing but easy to digest dishes to be made.

In every detail, there had been meanings. Every single detail had been chosen by me after many careful considerations. That had been a brand new and delicately woven tablecloth chosen especially for this occasion, but anyhow it had been dyed by dark stains of wine and of the dishes sauces. When I recall that night, I remember this sight that had been etched in my memory.

It was thrown away, crushed on the marble floor, and rolled into a ball. I didn’t know what should be done, and reflexively I pulled it toward me. I had thought it would have been nice if he had noticed it was a new tablecloth. Because Soleil was indifferent to this kind of thinks, I had been in a good mood imagining what kind of answer he would have make if he had noticed.