N̶o̶t̶ Without My Daughter

"Ahem...Michelle. Here's your drink."

We let go as my mother interrupts.

"Thank you." Michelle sits down at the breakfast bar. I sit next to her still trying to figure out when I met her.

My mother sits on the other side of her.

"So, Michelle? Were will you be staying? Now that you are back?"

"Actually I-"

"Back from were?" I blurted out not meaning to interrupt.

My mother rolls her eyes.

Michelle turns to me.

"I've been over seas for a while now."

"Oh. W-"

"So, Michelle, now that you are back we have to go out. There's this restaurant I've been wanting to try. Would you like to accompany me?"

After taking a sip of the wine my mother gave her, she answers "Sure when would you like to go?"

"Oh, um well now actually."

I giggled as her eyes got wide and she almost chocked on her drink.

"Right! of course." Michelle says "Whenever you are ready."

"I just have to get changed, I won't be long." my mother says getting up and walking to her room.

Michelle and I looked at each other.

"Does she always dress like that around the house?"

I didn't want to throw my mother under the bus so I said "Yeah she's a very fashionable woman."

Michelle narrowed her eyes and seemed to be studying my face and then turned her head forward and drinks more of her wine.

"Um... so you've been out of the country. Was it for work?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm an event planner. I impressed some people at the events I planned and they wanted me to plan events for them. Only problem was that they all were from different countries. I suggested to my company that we should travel out to them and bring in more revenue. Since they all wanted me I spent about..."

She stares off into the distance for a bit then says " about five years."

"Wow, that's a long time." Is that why I don't remember her? No, I would 100% remember this goddess if I ever met her. Even five year ago.

We talked for a bit about her work. Then my mother came in wearing the most revealing dress I've ever seen her in and jewelry I didn't know she had.

"How do I look?" she asks.

"Oh my god mom. You look really good since whe-"

"Michelle?" my mother interrupts me.

"Ah yeah, you look fantastic as always Linda."

"Aww, thank you. Ready?"

"Yeah. Amanda, are you coming too?"

"Sur-"

"NO!...I mean. She can't she has a school thing to do isn't that right Amanda?"

My mother glares at me. She's never been this confrontational with me and I don't know what school thing she's talking about but I don't want to know what she'll do to me if I tell the truth.

"Yeah, I'm busy so you two have fun."

"Okay then. Next time, see later Amanda it was nice to see you again.". Michelle says, shaking my hand again.

I walk her and my mom to the door and say "Take good care of her and don't bring her home too late."

Michelle laughs and says "Will do."

My mother doesn't say anything or even look back but I'm sure she's rolling her eyes at me.