NINE

Amara's POV

There's something undeniably sexy about a man in beards.

I imagine my fingers combing through them while Tonye talks about how he built his company from the ground up. Totally inappropriate thoughts considering that this is a business meeting and I'm seated right beside Mrs Kit trying to act all professional. Asides the fact that he held us spellbound with his oratory abilities, the man is gorgeous to look at. I usually don't drool easily, I'm way too fly for that. But here I am thinking how his beards will feel on my fingers, how he'd look at me when I do that.

He suddenly fixes his gaze on me and I look away. I'm a weirdo, a fucking horny weirdo staring at a man like he's the last man on earth. But then, it's the man. He's not supposed to have it all - looks, money, charisma. Like Jeez, pick one or two max.

Even Mrs Kit was acting more sexy than usual and dresses three notches sexier. When I saw her at the office this morning in her mini skirt and almost transparent chiffon blouse, I almost rolled my eyes. It should be against ethical standards to visit a client looking like she does now. I did roll my eyes when we got to Tonye's office and she began to speak in a foreign purring accent. Like please, you don't talk like that ma'am. You holler and you yell and throw in words from your native dialect. You definitely do not sound as sophisticated you do now.

Tonye seems interested in the nonsense she has to say though. They chat away while I just sit here like the audience chuckling and pitching in wows and hmmns every now and then. I'm not bothered though, this meeting is more for Mrs Kit than for me, and by the time we left she is sold. As Nigerians like to say in our informal parlance, she is a finished woman. Lol

"Amara, manage this customer very well oh." She tells me as soon as we get in the car. "This is the kind of customer that makes a banker's career, if you play your cards right anyway. If you need help with managing him, I can help you with that, because these kinds of customers can be overwhelming sometimes".

"I can manage him Ma. Thank you." I respond meekly. Letting Mrs Kit step in was tantamount to relinquishing my customer to her. I buckle up in the passenger seat while Mrs Kit settles in at the back seat. I meet Tonye's eyes in the side mirror and wave him goodbye. He had courteously walked out with us. He winks at me and I give him a small smile, feeling a thud of victory in my heart that his final gaze was on me and not Mrs Kit.

I just knew I'd be seeing him again soon.

************

We are back at the office and I am stuck with desk duty, not that I'm complaining though. I am in no mood to run the streets today.

I retrieve the paper as it slides out of the printer and sniff it. It is very satisfying. I love the smell of weird things, like paper straight out from the printer, wood shavings, the first blast of air from an air conditioner just turned on, the smell of harmattan dust after the first rain, the smell of salted moulded limestone. I know, I too have accepted that I am a weirdo.

Susan hasn't accepted her weirdness though. How do I tell her that it is not normal to always be on a positive level of 100. I don't know how she does it, but I don't get it. Like now she's defending the new email that states we must be at work before 7am.

"So, you're telling me that we can resume by 6:45?" I query. "In Lagos, a city where traffic is like cobwebs".

She shrugs nonchalantly as she continues typing on her computer. "I'm not saying it won't be hard, I'm just saying it's doable. We only need to wake up earlier".

"I already wake up by 5am Susan and I don't get to work before 7am."

She shrugs again. "Maybe push it up to 4:30".

I really want to shake her till she starts thinking practically. "I'd just ignore you." I mutter.

"What? " She raises up her head from her computer.

"Nothing." I reply with an eye roll. Who even brought up this stupid idea of loan recovery exercises in the morning? That person needs a life.

"Let's go clubbing again." I suggest suddenly.

She looks at me with an unsure expression. "Are you going to bail on me again?"

I grin. "Maybe. If a dangerous stranger sweeps me off my feet" I mean I do have plans to hook up with Tonye again since he asked me already. Deep down, I know I'm just fooling around with him and this hot compelling attraction between us will lead nowhere. His entire aura screams player, dangerous, heartbreaker. But I want to be foolish and not have a single care in the world for a little while.

"I guess we could swing by this Friday" she agrees.

I lifted my phone from my lap and typed away. Friday is perfectly fine for me.

I lay the phone on the desk and click the email again. I have read it at least nine times today but still I go over the letters again. It feels good to get a commendation mail from my regional manager for deposit mobilisation. I didn't even know she knew my name. It's a sweet feeling when you're recognized as a highflyer. I'm never going to the bottom again.

************

This is the shortest chapter I've written. But it's been a long ass day and I'm tired.

I'd serve a full course meal next time.

🤗💞