SEVENTEEN

Amara

Blessed me. I didn't dance the panicky tune for too long. I went to DSS answered their questions regarding Still Waters and they let me go after I took commitment to report any suspicious activity in line with anti-money laundering laws banks were subjected to. The DSS were much more civil and respectful than the EFCC, but that did not make them any less tough. I was so glad when I left there and made a prayer not to ever set foot in there again.

It has been three months since then and life is back to normal. The rat race continues, only this time, I seem to be winning a lot of prizes. Tonye keeps sending in money steadily and withdraws only a fraction. I am now cruising at N1.5billion naira from Still waters alone. Add my other deposits in other accounts and I am close to N2bn. I am the envy of all the bankers in the region. I have even surpassed my older colleagues in the branch.

With the inflow of Tonye's funds came many blessings including a promotion. I am beginning to feel like I had entered a place of rest. I had much better pay, more recognition, more respect. Life was sweet, my wardrobe looked amazing. I have definitely upgraded. I try to say humble but the glory that comes with success is almost intoxicating. Everyone tries to say hello to me now. Mrs Kit doesn't scream my name anymore. I walk taller, smile brighter and flip my Peruvian wig when talking for no reason at all. Some would say my actions are giving petty. I say it's giving superstar.

Even my rude and annoying bosses wanted to dine with me now. But I'm no fool to confuse fleeting attraction with love. Like a moth is drawn to a light, so are they drawn to me, for now. The corporate world is a tricky place to make friends. Only about 5% are really genuine. Luckily, I have that 5% in Susan.

'Congratulations' she screams coming over to hug me.

"Stooopppp ' I protest. "It's been a week already".

'I'm not talking about the promotion silly" she said mushing my head a little. I look at her utterly confused. What else could she be congratulating me for? "Your new role, silly. You have a whole team to manage. Didn't you see the mail?"

I face my computer immediately. I have this weird habit of glossing through my mails and end up missing one or two. I start scrolling down, searching, and there it was - notice of redeployment. I stare at it with mixed feelings. On the one hand it was a step up. A team lead is directly in charge of the marketers in the branch and is often the right-hand to the branch manager. As a team lead, it is almost guaranteed that I will be made a branch manager in a couple of years. On the other hand, it was more responsibility. I am not that kind of person always looking for more work to do, and team leads do all the work trust me. The branch managers like to do more of strategizing and directing and lengthy Monday morning ted-talks, while the team lead actually ensures the work is done day-to day-by the retail team – storms attended, accounts opened, channels onboarded. I am not excited about extra work. I can barely motivate myself to run my rat race and I am supposed to be inspiring five more people? I just want to chill, chop life and be successful.

But life doesn't often give me what I want.

So here I am, two days later, standing in front of my new branch on Badore Lane in Ajah. It's so far away from my previous branch in Marina and even father away from my house. Commuting will be a nightmare. Whoever redeployed me here must really hate me. It shockingly dawns on me that not everyone is happy about my success.

Looking at the building and all. The mild excitement I had previously felt like liquid electricity in my fingers solidified into stony disappointment. This is not your typical Island branch setting with posh cars and magnificent buildings. This is Ajah and I am right in the middle of a market, surrounded by loud hawkers, inpatient wheelbarrow pushers and ever-hurrying people.