NINETEEN

The drive to Tonye's house is cool and refreshing. It's my money ticking with every second of this premium uber ride but I don't mind. Today is not a day for hustle or buses. The gate of his estate comes into view and my stomach flutters some more. I don't know where this nervousness is coming from. I've seen the guy a thousand times.

We enter his estate and drive down to his lane. I pay the driver when we get there and alight the cab. He's not expecting me but I know he's home because we had chatted on my way here. It's a beautiful estate for the middle to high income class. The houses are built in modern architecture that sports huge balconies and perfect finishing. They are not gated but most have dwarf walls or mesh fences to demarcate the compounds.

I get to his porch and ring the bell. While I wait for him to come get it, I take off my jacket and drape it across my arm. I turn to stare at the serene environment of the estate as I wait. There are trees and flowers everywhere, its a beautiful view. Though I hope Tonye is more interested in my back view than I am interested in the one in front of me.

I hear the door swing open and wait two seconds before turning around. "Hi, surprise."

The look of surprise followed by sheer delight on Tonye's face is all I needed to see today. It's what I came all the way here for. He wastes no time in gathering me into his arms, hands skimming over the bare areas of my skin as we hug. He's shirtless, only clothed in a ripped jeans that hangs dangerously low on his waist. Ah.....don't tempt me young man.

"What are you doing here?" He pulls back and regards me before ushering me in. "You got me, huh? What a surprise. That was a good one." He laughs.

Inside, the AC is on full blast, soothing jazz music is playing and there are papers scattered all over the floor.

"Pardon the mess"  he says. "I'm not as organized as most CEOs are. I happened to use the floor as my desk today." He bends down and begins picking up the papers.

"Please, it doesn't matter at all. It's all about what gets your inspiration flowing." I place my jacket and handbag on the closest sofa and stoop to help him. I gather the last three to four papers and notice they are financial documents. I don;t mean to pry but it's not my fault my eyes are super sharp. There was numbers and numbers speckled with dollar or naira signs everywhere. I wonder why he does not just tell his accountant to handle the finances. it must be pretty important money.

It's Saturday" I say as I rise and put the documents in his outstretched hand. "Should you be working so hard?"

"yeah, when you own the business, every day is a work day" he says. "I'd be back in a second" 

I watch him take them into his room before I settle down into the sofa. I pick up the remote and flip through channels on the dstv. He re-emerges wearing a wife-beater on his tattered jeans, and gives me that dazzling dimpled smile.

"So, what have I done to earn this pleasant surprise" He asks as he joins me on the sofa. He is too close, close enough to reach out and touch.

I settle for a giggle instead. "Can't I visit my friend anymore?"

He looks at me funny. "Your friend" he repeats. "That's what you think you are to me?"

I shrug. "What am I to you?"

"What do you think you are to me?"

"Stop the reverse psychology" I whine.

He laughs and strokes his beards "Honestly, I am still figuring out what we are to each other. But I know you are definitely way more than a friend."

I look away shyly, and then back to him. "Can I have some water"

"Yeah, I have more than that." He says. "Wine maybe?"