Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

Charles balked. "Oh, no. Now there's three of them."

Christopher giggled, and Eddie looked at Tommy. "We better get out of here while we can."

"Good idea," Tommy nodded in agreement, grabbing her duffel. "See you all tomorrow!"

"Bye, T!" Charles waved. "Bye, Eddie!"

As Tommy closed the door, Eddie caught the tail end of Charles asking Christopher wanted in his pancakes. "I seriously cannot thank you enough for this," he told Tommy gratefully as they headed for their vehicles.

"And seriously, Eddie, no need to thank us," Tommy shook her head. "The girls love Christopher, and like Charles said, he's not doing anything since the restaurant closed. He's happy to watch Christopher until you find a house and an aide for him. Consider it our welcome to the 126 family present."

Eddie chuckled. "Present accepted."

"Good," Tommy nodded. "Now . . . ready for your first shift?"

Eddie took a deep breath. "As I'll ever be."

***

Grumpy Cat: What the fuck

Grumpy Cat: What the actual fuck did my dad just tell me

Buck frowned as he exited his car at the station, looking around to see if anyone else had arrived yet. He only recognized Sylvie's car from their crews, then texted back.

Golden Retriever: I left the house before you guys

Golden Retriever: I have no idea

Cocker Spaniel: I left before them too

Cocker Spaniel: What did your dad tell you?

Grumpy Cat: I'll tell you when I get there

Grumpy Cat: Good fucking morning to me

A snicker came from inside the garage, and Buck rounded the corner, stopping in his tracks when he comprehended the new rig inside. "Whoa," he whistled, eyeing the squad ambulance up and down. "Nice ride, Sylvie!"

"I know, right?" she poked her head out of the back, grinning widely. "Oh, it feels so good to say I have an ambulance again."

"Hen and Chimney would be so jealous," Buck snickered, hearing more cars pull up outside the firehouse.

"Hey, they still get to ride in a fire truck," Sylvie shrugged. "I finally get an ambulance again. They can fight fires all they want, I do the adrenaline junkie rescues. I'm better than them."

"I can vouch for that!" Eddie's voice rang out behind them, and Buck turned to see Tommy and Eddie walk into the station, Eddie grinning as he looked up and down the ambulance. "This our ride?"

"All ours," Sylvie said smugly.

"Sweet!" Eddie patted the ride of the rig, walking around it appreciatively. "I should warn you, this is my first time being solely a medic for a shift."

"Then I'll break you in appropriately," Sylvie smiled sweetly. "Check inside the cabin."

Buck blinked, watching Eddie open the passenger door, then jumped when Eddie burst out laughing. "You did not make a doughnut run!"

"I did!" Sylvie crowed. "Come on, your first day on shift, what kind of boss am I if I don't get some kind of treat for you?"

"Sorry, Buck," Eddie snorted as he plucked the half-dozen box from the seat and used his foot to shut the door down. "Sylvie's my new best friend."