Chapter 28

As soon as four a.m hit, I grabbed the duffel bag I packed most of my clothes and belongings in and snuck out of the penthouse, climbing right into Rogue, which was surprisingly easy. I cursed internally, praying everyone was sleeping when I turned the key in the ignition of my loud, sputtering car that took a minute to fully start, and once she was running, I peeled out of the driveway and never looked back. Once I felt like I wasn't being followed by Nathaniel's henchmen, I let my mind wander back to everything that just happened. I was still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I had almost been killed or kidnapped, but the fact that Nathaniel thought it was okay to try and keep me hostage stung more than I thought it would, and I hated it and him because of that. It was naive of me to think that he changed after four years, to think that maybe he learned how to be a decent fucking human being but clearly, I was wrong. He was the same selfish, self-centered man I ran away from all those years ago, and I wanted to punch myself for even thinking otherwise. I get that he wanted to make sure I was safe, but there were so many other ways to go about it than trying to keep me a prisoner in a place where there were constant reminders of him. It was already hard enough to work with him every day, but to be forced to live in his home was too much, and I had to get the fuck out of there before I lost my mind.

I then let my thoughts wander to Ezra, and my heart squeezed. Nathaniel had no right calling him, especially before I had a chance to speak to him first. But of course, Ezra was so understanding about everything when I finally spoke to him, which only made me feel worse, and I couldn't help but wonder if he was better off without me and my ex drama, but I was too selfish to let go of the one good thing I had. After everything I'd been through, I had every right to be selfish for once. An hour later, I found myself parked in front of Ezra's mansion, trying to build up the courage to knock on the front door at five in the morning. I was still gripping the steering wheel tightly, rehearsing what I was going to say in my head, when I heard light taps on the driver's side window and when my head snapped up, I saw Ezra standing outside of my car wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, his long hair wild and eyes still filled with sleep.

"Hi," I whispered, climbing out slowly, trying to gauge his reaction.

With no hesitation, Ezra reached out and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace. "I'm so sorry," he mumbled into my hair.

I tried to pull away to tell him that nothing was his fault, but his arm around me was like a steel band locking me in place, so I stayed there with my head buried in the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent that I'd grown to love and find comfort in. He finally released me after a few minutes passed but slipped his hand into mine while he got my duffel bag out from the back seat and led us inside his home up to his room.

"None of this is your fault, Ezra," I told him as I climbed onto the bed, watching him peel off his sweats and shirt before sliding in next to me.

Ezra's jaw clenched as he stared up at the ceiling, his hands tucked behind his head. "I should've been there."

"You had to leave."

"That's no excuse for not being able to walk you up to your room Ana," he sighed. "What if you went up there just a few minutes earlier, I would have never forgiven myself if something happened to you."

"But nothing happened, and I'm fine." I propped myself up with my elbow keeping my eyes on him. "And if anything, I'm the one that owes you an apology."

Ezra's brows creased with confusion when he turned his head to look at me. "For what?"

"For not calling you right away and having to hear what happened from him instead of me."

Ezra stared at me like I had grown another head. "After everything that's just happened to you, that's what you've been worrying about?"

I nodded slowly, making him chuckle. "I couldn't care less that he called me Ana; he didn't say anything I wasn't already thinking after he told me what happened." Ezra cupped the back of my neck, kissing me quick on the lips. "I'm just glad you're safe, sweetheart."