Chapter 4

"Do you really have to leave?" Dylan whispered into the silent room.

It was Sunday night now, and we were currently in his bed. After explaining to him how I couldn't sleep alone, he didn't hesitate to let me sleep with him. I turned my body to face him, finding him on his back with his hands tucked under his head.

"I do have a life and a job to get back to Dylan, a new job I'll be starting tomorrow, so yes, I do have to leave."

"I know," he sighed heavily, turning his head to face me. "I just don't want you to leave again."

"I won't," I assured him, wrapping my arm around his torso and resting my head on his chest.

Dylan's arm automatically wrapped around me, pulling my body closer against his.

"And even if I do, you'll be the first to know," I quickly added.

"Before, not after."

"Before," I smiled, remembering him freaking out over the phone when I first left. "Now shut up so I can get some sleep."

"Yes, my queen," Dylan joked, pressing a light kiss to my forehead.

~~~

"Okay, I think that's all the paperwork you need to sign; welcome to The Dream Foundation," Maxine, the receptionist, smiled brightly at me as I handed her back the documents.

"Thank you," I smiled back. "Is there any chance I'll be able to meet the executive Director today?"

"Oh, Ms. Hynes?" Maxine nodded, tucking a strand of her short brown hair behind her ear. "Sure, her office is on the fifth floor; I'll let her know you're on your way up."

"Thanks again," I flashed her another smile before making my way towards the elevator doors taking in the massive building I bought and had renovated for this foundation. The high glass ceilings gave the place natural lighting even though expensive chandeliers hung down, waiting to give light whenever it turned night. There was also a wide waiting area behind the receptionist desk where a few volunteers hung out before getting their assignment for the day.

The elevator ride was short, and it only took a second of knocking on the executive director's office door for her to appear.

"Ana," she gasped, opening the door wider for me to come in. "It's so good to see you."

"Hey Rachel," I grinned, giving her petite figure a quick hug before taking a seat in the chair across from her desk.

"You know the job is yours if you want it," she informed me for the hundredth time as she plopped down in her chair.

I rolled my eyes playfully and waved her off. "How many times do I have to tell you that I want to be in the field, not stuffed in an office shuffling around paperwork and living in meetings?"

She laughed softly, smoothing out the black dress she wore. "It's not too bad."

"Because you actually like what you do."

"I don't know how I'll ever be able to thank you for giving me this opportunity," Rachel whispered with a grateful smile.

When I first began organizing this foundation while still living in Mozambique, Rachel was referred to me by a business associate I knew back when I was the CEO of Faye Industries. He informed me that Rachel was working as an assistant at a firm despite the multiple business degrees she had under her belt. After Rachel and I had a lengthy interview over the phone, I knew immediately she was the person I was looking for to run my foundation.