Chapter 14

Laying on the shore, in the cold and in the middle of night, freezing, exhausted and bleeding lightly, Ryder struggles to get himself up. If it wasn't that he had to save Chase in such little time, Ryder would've just continued to lay on the beach. But the minutes were ticking by fast and Ryder knew he didn't have much time.
Ryder uses his arms to lift his upper part of his body. He stops for a moment, taking in deep breaths and trying to get his body together.
He lifts his arm and glances at his watch. He now only has 37 minutes left. Ryder eventually gets up. He stands limply and exhausted on the sand. "I gotta push myself, for Chase" Ryder says. He starts leaving the area he had been laying down on and heads back for the city.

Once Ryder makes it back to the city, he right away focuses on catching a cab. "I got to hurry" he says. Despite the pain on his side and arm, Ryder keeps pushing himself. He ends up catching a cab easily and tells the driver the address and location he wants to go to.
The cab driver feels a little suspicious about Ryder, seeing that he has two bullets wounds and he's all soaking wet. But when Ryder offers more money, the driver happily drives him to his location.

Ryder gives the driver a tip and then gets out of the car. The cab then drives off and Ryder is left standing on a dark and spooky road.
He finds himself infront of a large old looking house with a big green door.
"This is it" Ryder says. "As much as I just want to run in there and get Chase, I can't do things recklessly." Ryder glances at his watch. "Oh my! I only have 19 minutes left. Okay, I gotta make a plan."
Ryder opens the green door and walks into a large yard, that is surrounded by tall brick walls that are all chipped and moldy.

As he walks quietly and carefully through the gloomy yard, Ryder moves between chairs and tables that are sitting around. He comes upon an open door that leads into a dirty looking living room.
"The ship is gonna be here in 19 minutes. Time to start getting the dogs outside onto the dock" Boss James says.
"I have to act smart" Ryder whispers. He hears men getting up from their seats and beginning to walk. Their footsteps start fading as they head to the secret stairway that leads to the spooky underfloor.

Ryder sneaks into the living room and sees the last man disappear downstairs. "I have an idea" Ryder says. He hides himself behind the old sofa and takes out his pistol. Ryder starts shooting the wall ahead and then immediately stops when he hears the men start yelling. He keeps quiet and waits for them to come up. "What was that?" Boss James screams.

"Someone is here" Blake says. "Could it be the boy?" Robert says. "It can't be him! He doesn't even know where we are!" Boss James shouts.
Ryder starts shooting the men one by one. The men scream and fall to the ground, wounded badly and bleeding.
Ryder breaks cover and heads for the stairs. "It is HIM!" Robert screams in shock.
"How in the world did he get here?" Boss James says. Ryder shoots the men a few more times and then runs down the stairs.

He stops at the bottom of the staircase and finds a key lying on the floor. He then hears Boss James upstairs say, "I dropped the key downstairs! He's gonna get it and open the doors!"
Ryder grabs the key and runs down the long and gloomy corridor.
"CHASE!" he calls out.
The men get up and take out their pistols. "He's gonna find his pup and we're gonna lose the million dollars we're about to make!" Boss James says.

Despite the intense pain and bleeding, the men limply hurry downstairs to shoot Ryder. Ryder spots the men coming and they aim their pistols at him. Ryder starts running down the corridor and makes a left turn. "I can't ruin this chance" Ryder says.
He turns around and sees the men running at him. He then starts shooting them.
"Kill him!" Boss James yells evilly. Ryder makes a hard decision.
He didn't want to do this, but he had to load his pistol with bigger bullets to kill back.
He had no choice but to defend himself against these cruel criminals.