→ 9

"Hey sweetie," Jisungs mother said weakly, walking into the kitchen where the boy was eating his breakfast

Her slim fingers coming out to brush the boys freshly washed hair out of his eyes and he looked up to her.

Tired eyes peering back to him and he could feel his heart twinge when she gave him a frail smile.

"Hey mum, how're you feeling?" He asked, her fingers still racking through his hair.

"Tired," she admitted and Jisung swallowed hard, watching as the woman began to pour herself a coffee and sit down at the table in front of him.
"Im sorry i haven't been a great mother these past few weeks-"

"Don't even say that mum, you're doing your best and that's all i can ask for," Jisung reached his hand out to clasp around his mothers and he could feel by how bony her hand was just how much she has lost from her lack of eating and a frown fell on his face.

"How about i take you out tonight, we can go get Chinese," he suggested to lighten to mood.

"Maybe another time sweetie, im not really in the mood to go out," she pet his hand in sorrow before taking another sip of her drink and leaving the two in silence.

Jisung solemnly took another mouthful of his cereal as his mind raced with thoughts about the woman in front of him.

"Did you hear Doyoung got fired," at her words Jisungs head shot up.
Mouth full of cereal as he muttered out a "what?"

"The council declared it a few days ago that he couldn't return to the office as he assisted in the... incident."

Jisung blinked blankly at his mother as he watched her wipe away another tear, pulling her cardigan sleeves above her palms as she sniffled.

"He's still in hospital with major injuries, maybe you should go visit him," she suggested, wiping away another tear and standing up.

Placing a small delicate kiss to the boys head, "I love you Jisung," whispering as she ran her fingers through his hair once more.
"I'm going to go back to bed, have fun at school sweetie."

Jisung watched his mother disappear down the hallway and he tried to swallow the large lump in his throat but his throat felt dry and irritated.

Heart palpitating at unreasonable speeds and he felt like he could be sick.

He's alive?

←→

"So what else is there to do at this high school?"
Minjae asks as the two walk side by side down the hall.

People glancing their way every so often as the loner finally obtained a friend and they wondered how long it'd last.

"There's the clubs you can join, or the theatre class sometimes puts on plays- but trust me when I say they aren't very good," he shuddered as he remembered last years rendition of Romeo and Juliet.

How bad can one performance really get? You might ask.
Well from Jisungs clear memory, mostly everyone forgot their lines, the main actress' dress ripped and oh, one of the stage crew had a set fall on them.

Minjae giggled at the boy, "well now I'm curious. But I don't really think theatre is my thing. Are you in any clubs?"

Jisung looked at her bewildered, chuckling at her question, "no, I try and stay away from school as much as I can."

Her lips pulled up into a line as she nodded her head, a silence encasing them as they stopped at the boys locker.

He opened his backpack and started shoving books into it as they prepared for their next class.

"So what's up with this whole spiderboy thing?" Minjae asked, her back to the lockers as she looked up at the boy who momentarily froze.

Blinking vigorously and zipping up his bag, "you mean spiderman?"

"Yeah, spiderman. What is he? Like, I keep seeing him on my for you page and like, is he a superhero? Like iron man?"
"Well. I guess you could call him a super hero, he looks out for the little guys that Iron man usually looks over."
"That's nice of him. Have you ever seen him?"

Jisungs hand came up to push down his side burn as the two began to walk towards their class.
"Once or twice, but only from a distant."

"That's sick! I think it's so cool that he looks out for the people others don't usually. I wonder who he is," she thought and Jisung started to become increasingly sweaty next to her, chuckling at her words.
"Y-yeah, I wonder."

The girl looked up to him, eyebrows furrowing at his appearance, "you okay? You look really pale."
"Yeah- I'm... im fine, it just got really hot in here."

"Well, if you feel any worse than go to the nurses office. This is my stop," she pointed to behind her and Jisung nodded. Minjae waved at him as she turned and walked inside her class.

A heavy sigh left his lips, hand coming to his chest as he felt his racing heart pound behind his rib cage.

If only she knew.