→ 8

The light blue canvas hidden above the city skyline turned grey and overcast as the boy made his way solemnly down the street

Shoes scraping along the ground as he hadn't the effort to lift them up, feet kicking along a small rock as he took in shallow breaths.

Piece of paper folded in his hand that was shoved into the pockets of his hoodie and he could feel the edges poke into his skin.

His hood pulled over his head and he saw the first few droplets of rain hit the street before he felt them hit his skin.

Feet pulling him up a step and through the doors of a pharmacy, he pushed the hood of his hood off and looked around.

Eyes grazing over the lolly selection as he nonchalantly picked up a bar of chocolate and placed it on the counter- his mothers script dropping next to it.

"Hello Jisung, haven't seen you here for a while. What brings you in?" The pharmacist made his way to the front of the counter and Jisung slid over the script.

"Hey Mr. Shin, mums prescription needs renewing," at the words Mr. Shin gave Jisung a second look.

Mr. Shin was a family friend- befriending Jisungs mother after her many timely stops at the pharmacy. The middle aged man striking a conversation with her each time and slowly they became acquaintances.

It had been a while since his mother had stepped foot into the pharmacy- for good reasons, but that meant Mr. Shin was not as present in their lives as before- I guess that was about to change.

Mr. Shin debated within himself internally before taking the piece of paper and turning to face behind him, leaving the two in silence.

Jisung hand came up to pet down his side burn before looking at his phone to skip the song.

"So... how's things at home?" Mr. Shin asked warily, eyes glancing back at the boy who shrugged his shoulders and looked down.

"It's fine I guess."
Mr. Shin nodded.
"How are you handling everything?"

Jisung began to bite at his chapped lips, pulling at the skin until it began to bleed- leaving it red and raw.

"I don't know, I've been fine," he said, wanting nothing more than to be half way home by now.

"I'm really sorry for you loss Jisung, I really am. I trust you've taken the time to mourn because it's not good for a young man like you to bottle everything up. Anyways, here's your mums pills- don't worry about paying, I've got it covered. Just tell her it's an old friend looking out for her," he said handing over the pills and chocolate and Jisung pushed them into his pockets.

"Thanks Mr. Shin," he turned to leave, about to push in his fallen out earphone when the man called out for him.

"You should stay for a few minutes and wait for this rain to slow down. You'll catch a cold otherwise," he motioned to the glass windows and Jisung looked out, harsh heavy droplets of rain splashed against the street and Jisung nodded in agreement.

He turned to go look down one of the isles at all the miscellaneous stuff when something inside him began to tingle.

Feeling the presence of someone behind him he quickly turned around. The sound of the door bell coming a few seconds after he held out his hands.

Fingers clasping around the upper arms of the figure who walked into the shop, head down looking at a their phone when the sudden contact shocked them.

Hands coming up in fright and Jisungs eyes widened. Shocked at himself that he was able to sense that someone was about to walk into him.

The figure in front of him slowly looked up, eyes talking in their appearance and when they got to his face his widened eyes opened more- and so did hers.

"Jisung?" She looked completely taken aback by the boy in front of her.
Eyes flickering between his two as her mind run a thousand miles an hour.

The look on her face changing as she stepped out of the boys hands in realisation, "oh my god was I about hit you? Im so sorry! I really should watch where im going."

She looked down in apology when her hair fell in front of her face. Her long fingers coming up to push it behind her ears and Jisung stood frozen.

"N-no it's okay, there's no need to apologise," he said, talking his own step back to allow the girl to have some space.
His eyes scattered all over her face, taking in her appearance and his hand come up to the nape of his neck- rubbing at it awkwardly as he thought.
"What are you doing here? I didn't know you lived this way of town."

"I've just come to pick up my prescription," she said, holding her hand up to show him the piece of paper in her hand, "and I don't. Mr Shin is my uncle and he insisted on making us come here. I live in Brooklyn."

Jisung nodded his head, not talking in the first part, "wait... uncle?!"

Minjae laughed at his reaction, nodding her head and the boy looked between her and the man he had grown quite fond of.
"He's my dads older brother."

"Right," he said still completely in shock and Minjae shook her head at the perplexed man- slipping past him to walk up to the counter.

He watched her interact with the man and after he turned to get the medicine she looked back to him and smiled, head tilting.

"So what brings you here Jisung?"

He too lifted up his hand to show her the pill bottle.
"For you?"
He gulped at her question and shook his head.
"My mum."

And with that she left it be. Eyes looking out the window before flicking back to the boy, "you better get going now while the rain has stopped or who knows when you'll be able to leave."

His head flicked towards the window to see not a sight of rain besides the droplets that fell from the trees and buildings above.

Completely baffled by the whole scene he stumbled out a "right." Awkwardly waving at the girl whose chin rested on her shoulder as her hand came up to wave him farewell.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow."