Seven

After Jennifer's clouded thought walk she made her way back to the picnic, she was still beyond surprised out of everyone on her team she was the first one to be picked out of her whole team by a college scout.

"Our girl is getting that college scholarship," Harper said. Causing everyone to laugh, including me. "Guys it might be a stretch, they just want me to come to visit the campus and take a look around who knows if they even want to give me a scholarship," Jennifer said doubtfully. "But they've still got their eyes on you blonde,"  Layla said. Causing another laugh after that the team just stayed in comfortable silence until they finished their food.

After the picnic, the team had a couple of hours to kill before they had to be back at the hotel for team dinner. Instead of staying in their hotel for hours, the team opted for a group activity. Emily had an idea.

"I have an idea," Emily said

"Spit it out, princess," Monica said playfully.

Princess was a nickname Emily got a freshman year tryouts because of how "elegantly" she would stop the ball, the name just kinda stuck despite her much much less elegant ball stops now.

"We should make tye-dye jerseys that we can wear during practice or warm-ups, we just get simple white shirts and put our numbers on the back," Emily said smiling.

"I think that's a great idea." Coach said.

Coach went out to get tye-dye supplies once he returned they started the process of making the shirts.

Jennifer was sketching out a giant seven on the back of her shirt and Emily was doing that same process but with a giant fourteen.

"What colors are you gonna use," Emily asked Jennifer.

"I was thinking blue and yellow, it might have some green faded together and I think it would be pretty," Jennifer said smiling.

"I think it will be beautiful," Emily said resting a hand on her arm.

"What about your colors." Jennifer shifted positions, making Emily's hand fall.

"I was gonna do purple and red, but what you said might make me do blue and red so it has the fading of purple."

"I think it will be beautiful," Jennifer said, using the same words Emily did to describe hers.

They all finished their shirts before we started the long process of soaking the shirts, we shared our colors out loud.

"Blue and yellow," Jennifer said.

"Blue and red," Emily said.

"Purple and pink," Monica said.

"Green and pink," Stephanie said.

"Yellow and red," Lola said.

"Red and purple," Janiyah said.

"Orange and yellow," Emma said.

"Blue and orange," Anya said.

"Blue and green," Harper said.

"Pink and purple," Layla said.

"Green and orange," Casey said.

"Gold and silver." Coach said.

"Gold and silver, not cool coach. Hiding the cool colors from us." Harper said playfully.

"I had to stand out." Coach said. 

"Anyways your shirts are gonna looks amazing guys." "And Emily great idea." Coach said.

"Thank you," Emily said feeling Important. Emily would never admit to it but, she craves validation from older people. Such as mother figures or father figures. She had a mom growing up but not a loving mom, which is also why she thinks it's so hard for her to communicate with Jennifer because she hadn't communicated feelings of love before. Emily never had a dad, she has one but she doesn't know who he is. So when coach said that, it made her feel special and loved. Emily thought to herself "I should probably get help for this."

After they put their shirts in the bin with the water they clasped it closed then carried it to the bus. They all got on the bus and made their way back to the hotel.

word count: 641