Registration Day

After Evie fell asleep on the couch I spent the rest of the night researching the best elementary school within a forty-mile radius. Only two popped up so I did some extra research on those; one with the name of Dankwood Elementary school and the other Woodland Critters Elementary school. Already from the names I could tell that I would rule out Woodland Critters Elementary School and further into my research on that school I confirmed that that was not the school I would be sending Evie too. Since that was off the list I researched Dankwood Elementary School and found that it was fifteen minutes from my school so thirty minutes from my house; it seems weird to say that now because the house really is mine. The stats at the school were high and it seemed like the perfect option for my living situation and for Evie's education. Sometime during my research I dozed off until morning.

"WAKEY WAKEY TIMES A SHAKEY!" Evie sang out while she jumped on my bed like a wild animal.

I opened my eyes and she did an exaggerated motion with her arms while saying, "you're finally awake. That took forever."

"Yes, I'm up. Stop jumping," I replied as I sat up.

She stopped jumping around and sat down beside me.

"What kind of adventure are we going to go on today?" She asked.

"We are going to get you registered for school," I said and she frowned.

"Evie, it'll only take at least an hour and then we can do whatever you want for the rest of the day," I told her, hoping that she wouldn't put up a fight about this.

Her smile reappeared and as she ran to her room to get ready she yelled, "deal."

•••
We ate a light breakfast at home before getting in my car and driving to Dankwood Elementary School. When we arrived Evie rushed out of the car and towards the entrance of the school and I followed after her.

The school was a two story building, the bottom half red brick and the top half tan wood. There was a concrete path leading to the main entrance in the center of the grass that surrounded the school. The concrete path was covered by a triangular black roof that was held up by red brick pillars. Beside the front entrance and underneath all the windows in the front of the school were planter boxes full of beautiful arrangements of bright colored flowers. We stepped inside and the walls were painted white and there were stairs leading up to the second floor on our left side. Right in front of us there was a short hallway that ran about twenty feet with a water fountain and a hall closet. It branched off into two separate hallways that ran down to both the left and right that were probably lined with classrooms. On the wall to the right of us there was a sign that said 'office' and pointed down the hallway across from the stairs. Evie headed that way until she reached a desk.

There was a man behind the desk who had short black hair that was dotted with visible spots of grey. He wore a blue buttoned up dress shirt. A pair of black box framed glasses rested on the bridge of his nose, which he removed once he saw us.

"Hello, how can I help?" He asked in a croaky tone.

Evie replied, "I want to register for school."

He nodded and reached behind him into a tall stack of papers. Once he shuffled through them and found what it was he was looking for he turned back to face me.

"This is some paperwork that you need to fill out including emergency information and basic information about the grade level you wish to put her in. Once you fill these out and return them to me then I will deliver them to the principal and he will go through them and give you a call back when she can take her placement test. From there her home room teacher will be assigned and then she can start once that is all complete. I am Greg, if you have any questions come and see me," Greg said as I took the forms from his hand.

"Will do," I replied. I grabbed a pen out of the jar near his computer and then I took the forms over to a wooden bench across from the desk and began filling them out.

Evie quietly sat beside me and was swinging her legs back and forth while looking around. The papers were mostly easy for me to fill out since my mom told me so much about Evie over the years but there were a few questions I had to ask Evie including what her allergies were, she had none, and what her previous school district was.

I finished filling out the last form and I brought them back to Greg. He counted them to make sure they were all there and then he put them in a manila envelope.

"I will have the principal give you a call when she can come take her placement test," Greg said.

"Alright. Thank you," I replied.

Evie took my hand and started jogging out the entrance and pulling me along with her. Once we were in the car she said, "I have the whole day planned out. First stop, ice cream."

I turned the car on and drove to The Dreamery Creamery. The same blond haired boy from last time was working this shift and as soon as I walked in he made an audible sigh. I ignored him and ordered what I wanted.

"Can I get two scoops of mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone?" I asked.

"Sure thing," he responded, "and for the little one?"

Evie stood up on her tippy toes and held up ten fingers while saying "I'm not little. I'm ten years old and I'll have the same thing as my brother."

"Whatever," he whispered under his breath.

He gave us our cones and I handed him the money before dragging Evie out as fast as possible. Man I hate that ice cream guy. We went back to the car and ate our ice cream while listening to The Teen Beach Movie soundtrack since Evie loves that movie. Once she finished her cone she clapped her hands together and looked at me.

"Next stop, Aydrian's house," she said.