Ice Cream

"Thank god," my mom spoke from the couch.

I rolled my eyes. Aydrian stopped pacing and just stood there, staring blankly at me. My dad stood up and made his way to where I was standing. I'm 6'1 which is taller than my mom by a lot but my dad can still look down on me, literally speaking, since he is 6'4.

"We were worried sick," he said as he approached me.

I refrained from rolling my eyes again and instead said, "I stayed at school longer. Sorry."

"First you run off to who knows where and now you're lying to us?" My mom almost sounded hurt.

"Aydrian was worried because you weren't at school and you didn't answer her texts so she came to check if you were alright," my dad added.

"Look I'm fine, aren't I?" I said making an exaggerated motion at my unharmed body. "I just drove around for a bit. I'm good. Oh and as for the project Aydrian," I now turned my attention towards her. "Can we try for tomorrow?"

She didn't say anything and just hesitantly nodded.

"I'm sorry for worrying everyone but I'm fine."

I didn't wait for Aydrian to leave or for my parents to respond, I just jogged up the stairs and went into my room. Assuming Aydrian would leave and my parents wouldn't bother me again I laid on my stomach in my bed and closed my eyes. Not even five minutes later the door opened and whoever opened it walked in before softly closing it behind them. I rolled on my back and opened my eyes. Aydrian was standing there, her fingers crossed and her eyes glued to my abs. I couldn't help but smirk as I watched her.

"Like what you see?" I asked.

Her head snapped up and her eyes went wide as a blush crept onto her cheeks.

She cleared her throat. "I came to check on you," she said, avoiding my question.

I sat up, "look beautiful, I'm alright."

She wasn't buying my excuse and she shook her head at me. I didn't say anything as she began pacing and fiddling with her fingers. I sat there watching her walk back and forth in my room before she finally stopped and sat down next to me.

"I just- I just want to make sure you're okay," she said as she turned her head to look at me. I stayed quiet for a moment, lost in her green eyes. They were a darker shade than when I had first seen them. She stared at me intently. Her eyes were searching mine almost as if she'd find my answer to her question in them. I looked away.

"I'm okay."

"But Jayce, you ran away," she responded.

"I didn't run away. I went for a drive, to clear my head," I told her, still looking away from her.

"What did you need to clear your head about?" She asked. Her voice was soft, quiet, and I momentarily let her see behind the walls I had built so high around myself.

"My mom acts like she cares but she doesn't. If she did she would've never left my dad and I when I was so young and it hurts because he just lets her back in so easily."

It took me a moment to realize I said that out loud.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. It's nothing. I'm okay Aydrian," I said, wishing I hadn't opened my mouth.

"Jayce, I'm sorry," was all she said before we both went quiet. I glanced over at Aydrian to see that she was already looking at me.

"Let's go get some ice cream," she said, breaking the silence. I looked at her as if she had two heads.