Party Time

I continued walking to my car and I was almost there when I was stopped by Jamie.

"Hey Jayce!" She giggled, "any plans tonight?"

"At the moment no, why?" I replied. Rookie mistake.

"Oh nothing, it's just that I'm having a back to school party and I'm inviting everyone. Here is me inviting you," she said, handing me a sheet of paper with the location and time of the party.

I looked back up at her and handed the paper back. "I'm not one for parties, sorry Jamie."

I brushed past her before she grabbed my arm and twisted me back around to face her. "Oh come on Jayce," she pleaded. "Are you scared of fun or something?"

"No. I just have better things to do with my time," I replied.

She didn't take the hint and continued to bug me about going to the party. "Please Jayce."

"I'll stay for an hour. That's it," I said. Jamie gave me the paper then clapped her hands together the way girls do when they get excited. She then thanked me before walking off towards her friends; the same ones that were staring at us from her locker.

•••

The house on the invitation was only two streets over from mine so I decided I'd just walk there since I didn't want any drunk teens going near my car. I stayed in my same outfit from before, not seeing a need to change if I was only going to be there for an hour.

Before leaving the house I wrote a quick note about my whereabouts on a piece of paper and taped it to the fridge just in case my dad happened to get off work earlier than normal. I know he said he'd be home late but I took precautions anyways.

The walk there was refreshing. Dankwoods has tons of trees, hence the name woods. It was fall now and the leaves had just turned that sunset orange and yellow color that they do when fall arrives. I got to the house and could already smell the scent of alcohol, though the music wasn't too loud until I walked inside. The living room was packed with a bunch of teenagers who had red cups filled to the brim with who knows what. Some were dancing while others were sitting, sparking conversation with each other. I decided against going to the kitchen as I didn't plan on drinking tonight. I maneuvered my way through the crowd and was about to pass the kitchen when a certain someone stopped me.

"Jayce! You actually came," Jamie screeched from behind the marble island in the middle of the kitchen.

"I said I would, didn't I?" I replied staying where I was.

"Come over here and get something to drink," she said, motioning for me to go to her.

"I'm actually gonna get some fresh air," I stated and walked away from the kitchen before she had a chance to answer. I didn't know if there was a back door but I assumed there had to have been. I managed to find two bathrooms and the door to a two car garage before finally reaching a sliding glass door leading out to a back porch. I stepped outside only to be greeted with two voices arguing.

"Aydrian, it was one time baby," a voice said.

"Don't call me baby, I'm not yours anymore. One time is one too many Jake." The voice, I'm assuming is Aydrian, responded.

"Bu-"

"Look I don't need this right now. You've slipped up so many times, too many times, and I'm sick of it. I told you we're done and we are so drop it," she said as she came into my view. I was standing still, clearly eavesdropping. She made eye contact with me and looked as if she was about to say something before a hand grabbed her arm.

Aydrian turned around. "Jake, I said we're done. Let go of my arm."

He didn't. "We aren't done until I say we are," he replied through gritted teeth.

"Jake, stop. You're hurting me," she tried to pry his fingers off but it was no use. He wasn't budging.

I couldn't sit on the sidelines and watch this go down.

"She said let her go," I said, stepping towards them.

He harshly let go of her arm and started making his way towards me.

"Who the hell are you?" He questioned me.

"That's not important right now. What's important is she said you're done, so you're done," I replied.

This only aggravated him more than he was, which is what I wanted. It's not that I like getting into fights per say, it's just that I miss the feeling of punching someone who deserves it.

He swung his left fist at me, coming in contact with my nose. My head went to the side at the impact and I felt blood start to ooze out of my nostril and down my chin. I smiled as I watched the blood land in the grass. God I missed this feeling.

I swung my right arm at his face, my knuckles just barely skimming his jaw. He stumbled back just enough for Aydrian to put her hand on his arm.

"Jake don-" she started saying before he slapped her across the face. Aydrian removed her hand and brought it up to her face where his palm had just made contact with her skin. That pushed all the wrong buttons inside of me.

I lunged at him taking him down to the floor with me all the while Aydrian was yelling for the both of us to stop. I punched his face again, only this time my fist made full contact with his jaw. He was quick to recover but I still had him pinned and took this as an opportunity to punch him again. I punched his nose and heard a crack indicating that I broke something.

"Son of a.." he grumbled from beneath me.

I stood up and began walking just as the back sliding door opened and people came flooding out to see what had just happened. I managed to make it around the fence and out of sight before anyone saw me. From there I cut through someone's yard in order to make it to the next street over so no one could follow me. I walked the rest of the way home with blood dripping from my nose and bruises on my knuckles.

By the time I got home it was only 10:30pm and my dad still wasn't home. I went upstairs to my bed room and into the connected bathroom to wash up. My nose didn't look too bad, just a little red after I cleaned off all the blood. My knuckles were a little bruised but the bruises were small, barely even noticeable. I got in the shower and let the water soak through my dark brown almost black hair. Once I finished showering I toweled off and threw on some black sweatpants.

Knowing my dad wouldn't be home for a while longer I decided I'd make dinner for myself. I found some pizza dough and rolled it out into four mini pizzas. After shaping them I spread some tomato sauce and sprinkled shredded cheese on top. Ever since I was a kid my mom made my pizza with pickles on it. I never liked it when I was younger but now it reminds me of her so I put some sliced pickles on one of the pizzas. On the other ones I put black olives and pepperoni. Once the oven finished preheating I put the pizzas on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. I set a timer for twelve minutes and texted my mom back about Evies' first day of school pictures.

While my pizza was in the oven the doorbell rang. I casually made my way over to the door and when I opened it I was more than surprised to see Aydrian standing there.