Retreat

Explanations for shortcuts:

Y/N- Your name

H/N- Horse's name

Enjoy!

_________________________________________________________________

Linda lifted Alex's head and bent over to let her forehead rest on hers. A tear tickled her cheek, but she didn't let out a sound.

A great sob escaped Lisa's lips, and she covered her face with shaking hands.

"I could've saved her. If we brought her back to Jorvik before she-" Lisa whispered, her sentence left unfinished.

You heard an echo of hooves stepping closer little by little. 

Tin-Can glanced over their shoulders to see his lifeless rider. 

The Soul Riders moved back a little, to make space for the horse. He nudged Alex's shoulder, but there was no responding movement.

"You idiot," Tin-Can whined into her hair, "How could you give up so easily. It's too early for you to leave,"

The other horses, including H/N, quietly stood close by, their heads hanging low. 

Ydris avoided eye contact with others, seemingly trying not to shed tears himself. 

"Go home," He breathed out, "It's quite insufferable here, even without you," 

The Soul Riders lifted up Alex's body and Linda sat her in the saddle with her, holding the corpse between her arms. There wasn't a chance that they would leave her laying there.

The girls hurried back inside the portal, but you gave Ydris one last look. 

As if you were expecting him to say something along the lines of 'See you later'.

But he kept quiet.

Although, you have never heard anyone use 'later' to say goodbye for good before. It sounded harsh, curt, and dismissive, spoken with the veiled indifference of people who don't care to see or hear from you again.

You smiled sadly.

Goodbye. Go by the good ways, walk the good paths, and one day you will meet again in the light.

.

.

.

The portal practically threw you out, closing right after it did so.

Above those tangerine mountains, kissed to their heady blush by the sun, were clouds that moved in shoals. And so the sky was equal parts blue and a chorus of greys, streaked with silvers and golds.

It seemed time on Earth passed normally while you were in the realm.

All eyes were on you immediately, full of expectations.

The first to notice Tin-Can's empty saddle was Maya, awaiting her love to come back.

She gulped, "Where's Alex?" 

Your mouth was shut.

Then, the rest of the druids noticed the body in Linda's embrace. They rushed to them, taking Alex into their own hands and gently laying her on the near ground.

Even if there were any paramedics present, they wouldn't be able to help now. 

No matter how powerful or reliable were the spells they poured on the girl, none of them worked. 

Maya hesitantly took a step towards her, her hands squeezed on her chest. 

"Alex?" She whispered.

One druid looked up and shook her head.