Chapter 19: Headspace

???: Roman?

The voice sounds like Andrew but when I turn around there's no one there. Instead, there's an image of two people sitting in a living room type thing. Blackness surrounds the image giving it a strange glow.

???: So where is he?

The image moves. It's like a video. Or like watching a memory from an outsiders perspective.

The video focuses in more and things become more clear. I can make out small details, like a poster on the wall advertising a bake sale.

The one who's been speaking has their head in their hands with their dark brown to green hair flopped forwards.

The second person places a hand on thier shoulder and thier face finally comes into focus. It's the ghost guy who threatened me!

Deceit: I don't know. But we'll find him okay?

He smiles sadly and the other person looks up.

I feel myself audibly gasp. It's me!

Or well, it looks like me. Only with green hair and green eyes.

Remus?

Remus: Okay.

He takes a deep breath and shakes out his hands.

Remus: Where do we start?

The scene swirls and replaced by tall dark walls that looked like they were made of black stone. Details slowly start filling in, emblems stamped into the walls, banners rolling out of the ceiling, thrones at the front of the room covered in red velvet and dark trim, then finally Deceit and Remus walking down the middle of the room towards the thrones.

Deceit: Mother. Father.

They both bow towards the thrones as people fade into focus.

Deceit's Mother: Who is this?

Deceit's Mother is sitting in the slightly higher throne in a dark dress with a crown full of dark colored jewels. She has a septer with a rounded black top that she's spinning into the floor like she's bored.

Deceit: Mother this is the friend I told you about. Remus.

Remus: Nice to meet you, Your Majesty.

He bows awkwardly again and glances at Deceit, who keeps his eyes locked on his parents.

Deceit's Father: And you brought a human here for... what?

Deceit's Father sits in the lower throne wearing dark kingly robes. He has a crown made of velvet and gold and looks exhausted.

Deceit and Remus exchange a look and Deceit sighs.

Deceit: I don't think he's human.

The scene starts swirling again.

Not human? What's that supposed to mean? If he's not human then what am I?

Deceit's Father: Boyfriend?! This is unacceptable!

The scene changed quicker this time. They're still in the throne room only they're both on the ground level and Deceit's Father is pacing back and forth frantically.

Deceit: You had no problem with him being my friend!

Who Remus?

Deceit's Father: I did actually! But I let it slide since you don't have many friends your age. But boyfriend is where I draw the line!

Deceit: Why?!

Deceit's Father: Because he's human!

Deceit: He's not supposed to be! It's not his fault he got separated and never got his demon mark! Even if he was human, it doesn't matter! I care about him and that should mean something to you!