Chapter8:OpenField

"Right here." Pluto pointed to a dirt pathway off the side of the road. I pulled my car in, noisily bouncing along the line. It didn't seem like it was really meant to be driven on.

    After we had finished eating, I paid for the food, found some of those mini cupcakes Gabby was talking about, and then we went out to the car. I was gonna head home, but Pluto mentioned this field nearby that we could drive out to and look at the stars. Well I still hadn't given her the box, and she hadn't told me where that scar was from, so I figured we could work that stuff out there.

    And sure enough, this dirt way was leading us into a huge open field. The grass was super tall, above our hips, and there wasn't a building or person in sight. All the grass was a dry yellow, but it made a calming soft noise in the wind. And the only light was from my car's headlights and the moon. The road lead to a circle of dirt, small rocks lining around to keep the grass away. This place felt like the start of a horror movie. Y'know, the ones where the teenagers go to some place make out and then the murderer kills them in their car. Not that, we're gonna do anything or some guy is gonna come stab us.

    Pluto hopped out of my car, and I left it on, just in case we did have to run from something. She stood in front of the hood, gazing up. The light bounced off her face and her dress in the prettiest way. I had to force myself to stop staring. Before I got fully out of the car, Pluto turned away.

    "Turn off the headlights." She said. I couldn't read her face. I looked up, the sky was black and you could see the little white dots everywhere. Nothing spectacular to be honest.

"But you can-"

"Turn em off." She looked over her shoulder, then smiled. "You'll see."

    So I obeyed, switching off the car and taking the keys, shoving them in my pocket as I walked to her. She scooted up on the car hood, leaning back on her hands with her head tilted up. I hopped up next to her, but I couldn't help looking down, feeling the box in my pocket. God, I was nervous, my heart was pounding. I was afraid to even look at her.

    "Cakepop, look."

I glanced at her, then looked up.

And. Wow.

White specks scattered across the infinite sky, dark blues and purples and other colors I never noticed. The moon casted a glow all around us, and faintly you could see a galaxy of stars streaking across the darkness. Some stars glowed even brighter, some different colors, and everything glittered like Pluto's eyes. I think I finally understood her obsession with the night sky.

"Wow." I breathed. She giggled.

"See? This is what happens when you don't shine any light. Gosh, isn't it amazin'?" She smiled wide and bright. "Y'know, no one else gets views like this. Everywhere else is light polluted. That's why I never wanna leave here."

"You never wanna leave?" I asked, eyes still up above.

"Well, I mean, not really. Like it ain't like I have a whole plan or anythin', and I'll move out if I have to, but I'd like to stay. I like it here."

I hesitated, looking down, then looked at her. "Even with your uncle?"

She looked down, eyes weary and in pain, then looked away. She breathed slowly, and I knew I'd hit another nerve.

"Jax..." my name again, that tingle went through me. "I know Sherman ain't the best guy, and it's obvious I don't like him, but you gotta understand somethin. He was, is..." she started breathing a bit harder, her breath shaky, and she couldn't make eye contact. This was hard for her to say.