Chapter 33: Yoruba Demon

TODAY WHEN I entered the hospital, it felt colder than usual. The lights seemed brighter, the patients sicker and the medical workers busier.

It slightly irritated me that the world was moving on and Samuel was just...there. The only options Samuel would get would be life continuing right where he left off. Or it might start on an empty canvas. Or it might end altogether.

Frowning that the last thought was a possibility, I plodded to Samuel's room. The nurses and the doctor had already gotten used to me by now seeing that I've been in the hospital every day since Samuel was here.

"Hey, my love." I greeted an unconscious Samuel with a kiss on the lips like I always do whenever I came over to see him. Each time I ended up disappointed that there was no response. No reaction.

There was nothing I craved more to feel the warmth on his lips again. I missed the way how when he kissed me it was as if transferring life into me. He touched my soul with those very kisses.

The memory was enough to make me shiver out of my thoughts.

There was a blanket that mom had brought over on the second day that Samuel was here. I covered both Samuel and me as I curled beside him. My head was on his chest, right over his heart.

With the faint thump of his heartbeat, I sighed with a smile.

"Bubba, let's see what gist I have for you today," I started as I played with the loose threads on the blanket. "Remember when I told you that it was Charity and I who dropped Baba and Kunle off at the airport and how Charity and Kunle almost shared a kiss? Well, last night she told me that she had decided to just be friends with him instead."

Honestly, that was smart of her. It often amazed me how mentally mature she was for her age, but then I had to remember that she had three siblings before her who did some pretty crazy things.

"I don't think that twenty-one years old me was that responsible or should I say level-headed? At twenty-one, I was still naive and going on my third heartbreak. She's strong-minded but too strong-minded. I think she should've tested the waters."

Rolling my eyes, I could already predict what Samuel's response would've been.

"If you could right now, I know you'd ask what happened to me thinking that Kunle is a Yoruba demon. Yes, I did call him that and though he seems like a cool guy, I still think there's some Yoruba demoness in him. However, I think Charity should give him or someone a chance."

The voice in my head cleared its throat. That's silly. She's not ready to give anyone a chance yet. She will when she's ready.

"But that's just my opinion. I respect her choice. This is her life and like mom said God works in mysterious ways. Come to think of it, if Charity and Kunle can establish a comfortable, long-distance, platonic relationship then that sets a strong foundation for a romantic relationship...if they sail that boat."

I paused. There was something I was forgetting to say.

"Oh yeah! Luna's brother came to visit his parents for the weekend. It was nice seeing him after so many years. Did you know that he was the first guy to propose to me? Don't worry, I was three and he was five plus he has a boyfriend which explains why we didn't see him for over two years."

I was getting sleepy. "Also things are getting back to normal...kinda. Florida doesn't have those strict restrictions like the other states which is both a pro and a con. By the way, since I'm off tomorrow, I'm getting myself a new phone. I've been without a phone for eight days and didn't realize it until Oliver mentioned it. Kunle had promised to check up on your mother, so I need updates."

I played with his beard long enough until I drifted into a deep slumber.

I had a dream where Samuel was himself before the accident. We were having a picnic at the same park where we met. We were under a large oak tree that served as a perfect shade.

Stretching in front of us was a lake. There was a turtle floating, fishes swimming and birds diving in for a snack.

The moment was perfect. But I've come to learn a thing or two about perfection.

It didn't exist and in that exact moment, we were surrounded by a mass land of dirt. It looked like we were in the desert.

The wind had grown violent. The sand was starting to form a tornado. What terrified me in the dream was that Samuel was dissipating into the sand. Sand as fine as powder.

He placed his hand on my cheek comfortingly. I was crying, begging for him to stay with me. But it was if the more I cried the faster he dissolved.

From his neck down was completely gone and he only lasted long enough to kiss me and say, "I'm coming back to you."

In the dream, when I had opened my eyes all I could taste was sand. What was surprising was that there was a calmness inside me. I didn't understand why I felt calm if Samuel was no longer there with me.

Then I heard a giggling and when I turned my head, I was back at the park with Samuel. It was under the same oak tree with the same lake. Only this time there was a baby.

She was a girl, maybe just around a year old. The giggling was coming from her. She sounded so happy as Samuel blew on her stomach.

She turned to me as if noticing me for the first time. Her tiny hand reached for me. She was still giggling and there was drool coming out of her mouth.

Cautiously, I leaned towards her. When her hand came in contact with my face, I felt a connection, and it was there that I knew that this beautiful child who Samuel was making laugh so hard that he had to stop every few moments for her to catch her breath was ours.

"You came back!" I teared up, hugging Samuel tightly.

"For you," he answered with a kiss, "always."

But when I opened my eyes, he didn't come back. He was still in the same state as he was before I fell asleep and had that stupid, beautiful dream.

So I cried.