giant slayer 2

Ethan's pov

I could see the shock and anticipation in their faces as I walked through the streets, wondering what the hell happened to me out there.

I had been gone for almost two days, last seen on my way to kill 'the beast' that's been tormenting their village for years. Most had expected me to never return, like those unlucky souls before me. But now I'm back, surprisingly unharmed and looking the exact same as when I first left, besides the obvious lack of a sword. It's more than understandable that they all wanted me to tell my story.

How did I get back? Did I slay the beast? What did it look like? We're only a few of the questions that I could hear being yelled across the streets.

But I didn't know what to tell them. The truth? Would they even believe me?

Giants have been nothing more then an ancient legend, supposedly dead for hundreds of years. They'd all think I'm crazy, probably even lock me up at a prison for the mentally insane.

Either way, if I tell them, and they somehow do believe me, what'll that mean for Mark?

Sure he's a very intimidating fella, with the brute strength of at least a hundred men, but he wouldn't hurt anyone. That's at least my interpretation of him from the little less then an hour interaction I had with the guy. However I doubt most other people will think the same. Heck, if they really believe a giant was the beast that's been causing all this mayhem for them this whole time I bet they would want to seek him out. They may even try to capture him for his crimes, or worse... kill him. I don't want him getting hurt.

So... Should I lie?

Looking out in the crowd I realise I couldn't exactly decide that out here, with literally everyone's eyes on me. They might catch on and notice how unsure I sound, plus I don't like all this unwanted attention. So I quickly speed towards the village's motel building I stayed the first couple of days I lived here, trying to ignore the very eager crowd of people following closely behind, and rent out a room for a quite place for me to think.

To my relief I receive a key and room number in no time and head straight for my room before anyone can stop me. There I can hear from behind the door the crowd steadily go silent, with only a few people left impatiently banging on the door for answers. But it wasn't as overwhelming anymore, allowing me to finally think.

If I tell the truth they either won't believe me and call my crazy, or they do believe me and search for Mark. But if I tell a lie that might not happen. Still I don't know what to say. If I say I killed the beast they most likely would want to see it for themselves, and if I say I didn't then I'm a total loser.

Still pondering I pace around the room, until I come up with an idea.

What if I get a second opinion? From someone who already knows about my situation, someone who this decision also effects, someone like... Mark. I can get a second opinion from him!

With my mind made up and at ease I head straight for bed, planning to see Mark in the early morning so no one would see me leaving, and fall asleep almost instantly, tired from the eventful day I just had.

Around 4 in the morning I force myself awake and slowly creep out the door, my eyes on high alert incase anyone else was awake and nearby. But to my relief there was nobody else in sight.