17 - Flashback: Young Anna Montes [FINAL]

Start from the beginning

"My apologies. Now I can understand why she was highly favored by the President. But for that girl to kill the Abu Sayaf leader... Is it possible!?" Colonel Mandodadato said, deep in thought.

General Jhonnes couldn't afford to linger on public grounds, and urged Colonel Mandodadato to speak with a click of his tongue: "What is it? If you have a clue, then tell me!"

"Ah, yes, sir. I heard from my superiors that the girl used to have no background and had earlier been given an identity, and I suspect that she might have been raised in the secret society everyone talks about!" the colonel said.

"The Secret Society of the PhilSecta...? If that is true, then things will become complicated," General Jhonnes said. Battling those secret agents would be a tedious affair.

The two of them became silent at this juncture. A voice as clear as a bell then interjected amidst the noise of the rain. "You, mister, know too much~."

"What!?" The sudden voice made both of them leap to their sides. They drew their hand-sized guns and turned around to find a girl drenched in the rain. "Who are you!?" Colonel Mandodadato yelled.

"Hey, I recorded all of your conversations; if you want to talk about me, let me join your little secret affairs," the girl said, flicking her wet hair and showing a charming smile.

"Red-eyed girl..."

"It's her," the colonel said curtly.

"As I thought," the general said, swiftly taking out his gun and shooting the girl without warning. His pistol was custom-made for surprise attacks and had been painted black to blend in with the dark, making it best to use once the user is cornered.

The eyes of normal people wouldn't be able to discern the kind of gun he raised in this dark spot. But the girl side-stepped it easily with little movements. And most surprisingly, the gun has a silencer on it and she knows at the moment he will trigger a shot. The general continued shooting at her chest, arms, and legs, but none of them found their mark. The bullets all disappeared into the dark as if he had used them carelessly. She dodged all of them... Interesting. As one would expect from a super genius," General Jhonnes thought to himself, licking his lips and closing in on the girl quickly.

The girl didn't move or even draw her licensed gun, just looking at him with a smile. This was the pride of someone who had absolute confidence in her prowess. When he thought this far, Jhonnes felt a sudden chill down his spine. A feeling he had never had before coursed through his body. It was different from killing intent and was something more horrifying. If he had to describe it with a word, it would be the feeling of imminent death.

"This feels bad! I have to pull away and see what she does," the middle-aged general thought, firmly believing in his instincts. He understood that it could be the difference between life and death, as he was also a soldier.

And the truth was, his intuition had already helped him escape from certain death several times. However, he was very close to the girl, and it might be more dangerous to take evasive actions now. And from the way the girl dodged his bullets, her riposte might prove fatal, General Jhonnes' mind starting to churn at high speed. 

"Should I attack with the resolve to die? Or should I evade it at the risk of death? One of these two choices," he thought, trying to decide what to do.

In an instant, Jhonnes made his decision. When his pistol entered close range, he intentionally dropped the gun in his right hand. 

"Why?..." the girl said, puzzled and looking incredulously at the weapon he abandoned, unable to tell the goal of this move. A hidden ice pick sprang out from his left sleeve, and he thrust it at the girl's throat. The attack from her blind spot was a brilliant plan, however...