9 - Heather's Genius [FINAL]

Helgium Outskirts

On a pleasant summer day in the suburbs of Helgium Capital, a particularly opulent carriage stood out due to its ornate embellishments and jewel-encrusted exterior and interior.

Suddenly, the carriage was violently shaken. The shrill whinny of a horse could be heard as the carriage came to a halt.

A bewildered, handsome young man with blonde hair and a plump physique alighted from the carriage, wondering what had occurred.

He found the coachman kneeling by the wheel in the muddy ditch beside the stone-paved road.

"What happened?"

"Ah, Master Rooks... Um, it appears that the wheel is broken."

The driver hesitated as he gave his response, appearing fearful of Rooks's reaction.

"In that case, let me take a look. "

Rooks gestured for the coachman to step back and inspected the damage to the wheel himself. The wooden wheel had a crack running through it.

"Elder brother Rooks? What happened?"

The carriage that had been traveling alongside Rooks's came to a stop, and his sister peered out the window with a curious expression.

"It's just a minor issue with the wheel, Mapua. I'll follow up as soon as it's fixed, so you can go ahead. "

"Is that so? Alright then, I'll wait for you at the academy."

Rooks looked at his sister, Mapua, worriedly, but ultimately gave a small nod and instructed her driver to continue. The sound of a whip cracking could be heard as Mapua's carriage began to depart.

"M-master! I will immediately return to the residence to contact... "

"That won't be necessary."

Rooks held his right hand over the damaged wheel and, with a snap of his fingers, a convergence of multicolored lights emerged in his palm, causing the coachman, who had begun to walk away, to pause in his tracks.

Shades of verdant, gold, and silver merged and penetrated the wheel. Then, a ripple of light spread throughout the carriage, even reaching the horse.

Once the light dissipated, the undamaged wheel replaced the damaged one.

"Ah?... huh?"

"There won't be any problems with this. Well then, can you head towards the academy?"

With these words, Rooks promptly returned to the carriage.

"Er, ah, yes, understood."

The coachman, left behind, could only stare back and forth between the wheel and the closed door in disbelief.

However, as he could not afford to have the first son of the family he served arrive late, he reluctantly returned to the box seat.

With a swing of the coachman's whip, the carriage began to move.

However, the wheels were turning remarkably faster than before.

This was natural, as while repairing the wheel, Rooks had also used strengthening magic spells on both the carriage and the horse. This was the reason for the multicolored lights seen earlier.

The magic-strengthened carriage gallantly sped through the main street. In an instant, it caught up to and passed Mapua's carriage, leaving it behind in the dust.

"... What? ... What?"

Mapua's coachman couldn't believe the sight of a carriage moving at twice the speed of a normal one. Dumbfounded, he rubbed his eyes until it was out of sight.