15 - Mage Genius Rooks Versus Fake Luna [FINAL]

Present Time, Hidden Grounds of Academy

Mariel was silent for a moment before speaking. 'Rooks,' she said, 'a bad wind is blowing on campus today. You should be careful.'

'You sure?' Rooks replied. 'It's a beautiful summer day out here. There isn't any wind at all.'

'Trust me, there's a storm coming,' Mariel said, pausing to be sure.

'Well, don't say I didn't warn you, Rooks,' Mariel said.

'Yeah, yeah. Thanks for the warning. I'll keep that in mind,' Rooks said before starting to jog again. As he passed Mariel, he reached for the holster at his waist.

With each step, Mariel's anxiety turned to fear. She wondered if there was a way out. Every step she took onto the sports grounds took her farther away from the safety of Heather. If she walked any farther, she would reach a point of no return. 

She silently begged for Rooks to understand what she was trying to say. Mariel had been robbed of her wand, a tool used for spellcasting.

She had never trained for combat and without it, she was no different from a commoner. Even normal spellcasting, which required snapping or flicking any part of the body and chanting, was a struggle for her.

To make matters worse, her index fingers were broken. Surprisingly, it wasn't painful. How did she manage to do that?

Desperate, Mariel turned back to see Professor Luna smiling at her. "You seem to be bad at following instructions, even outside of class, Your Highness," Luna said.

The professor smiled to herself, thinking, "This is going to be exciting."

Luna looked in the direction of Mariel's hostage and saw the problem student of the academy. "Rooks, isn't it?" Luna said, jeering. 

'Xylma's current boyfriend and seatmate. Xylma said he's handsome if he isn't a sweaty mess. He's a bit of a troublesome kid, but I have plans for him.'

Despite Luna's words, Mariel turned back anyway. Mariel pleaded inwardly, "Please realize. You should be able to tell. I used code words that only you would understand." 

And there, before her eyes, the plump boy was pointing his wand in her direction.

Mariel couldn't tear her gaze away from the sharp look in his eyes.

The time has now come for his debut battle.

"Mariel..." he began slowly.

"...take steps back."

No matter where the stage may be, it's always nice to start the show with a surprise.

The flashier the first attack, the greater impact it will have on the audience.

Mariel leaped backward.

The boy gave his black wand a wave with a flick of his wrist, and a large wall of earth appeared with a deafening rumble, separating Mariel from the professor.

The enormous wall seemed to reach ten meters long and a meter wide before it finally stopped growing.

Startled by the sudden noise, the horse pulled its reins free and galloped off with a panicked whinny. It was miraculous that a seemingly whimsical wave of his wand could conjure such an incredible result.

This was magic, the power granted by the invisible spirits of this world.

"Wow, as expected of Formula Master," Professor Luna said, her eyes widening in amazement.

Considering the enormous monument of earth that appeared before her out of nowhere, her awe was understandable.

This guy is a genius, manipulating magic with ease and vast mana reserves.