ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16

Silence

Silence.

The Fury crew were armed and ready for the coming attack. The SS Battalion were now only a few meters away, close enough to hear the leader shouting commands at the men. Natalia could only assume they were being directed to inspect the tank, if they didn't, they were fools.

Boyd allowed a few tears to roll from his eyes to his chin. No one noticed.

"Almost." Don readied the crew. He pulled the pin to a grenade.

Grady sniffled, not bothering to wipe the tears that spilled over his eyes as well.

Silence.

Norman tightly held the grease gun, loaded and ready to fire. He was confident in his ability to shoot without hesitation. Everything he experienced over the last few weeks trained him for this very moment.

Natalia and Trini shared a look. The girl tried to flash him her signature comforting smile, though she simply lost the ability to do so. Now, after three years, it was Gordo's turn to be strong for her. He reached over the small area that separated them and locked their fingers together, a gesture of love and admiration. For what he hoped wasn't the last time, Gordo quickly pressed a kiss to the back of Natalia's hand.

Harsh footsteps could be heard stomping on the tank. The crew inside only had mere seconds of silence left.

Norman's hatch was pulled open, and without a second thought, the boy squeezed the trigger to the grease gun. The unlucky German fell to the ground with a thud.

The fight has officially begun.

"Now!" Don yelled at the crew. He pushed his hatch open and threw the grenade onto the ground, a loud explosion following shortly after.

"Clear!" the word left Grady's mouth like it has millions of times before.

"Fire!"

"On the way!" Boyd shot the cannon shell into a truck.

"Clear!"

"On the way!"

Another shell exploded, then another, followed closely by another. The Germans ran as if to retreat from the situation, though a countless number were mauled down by Norman and Natalia.

"They're running! They're running! Traverse left!" Don ordered Gordo; "Dove, squirt those assholes running for that mill." Don instructed the girl, not as her boyfriend, but as her sergeant; "cut those fuckers down!" Natalia did as she was told; "Loader, four rounds of Willy Pete." it was now Grady's turn to follow through on an order; "Bible, put it in that building. It's full of fucking Krauts." Boyd fired the cannon shell shortly after the words left Don's mouth. He didn't need to be told twice.

The windows were the first to explode out of the old aid station.

"Give me another, that was beautiful." Don watched the damage from his spot atop of the confined space of the tank. Boyd fired another shot, resulting in the abandoned building to go up in flames.