ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

Lieutenant Parker and his tank took to the front of the column, making Fury second

Lieutenant Parker and his tank took to the front of the column, making Fury second. On everyone's right side was a long stretch of tree line, creating good hiding spots. On their left, flat land. The speed of tanks was kept constant, though everyone was instructed to keep their eyes open for any sudden movement.

Natalia had found her seat once more, readying herself for anything that could be thrown her way. Momentarily, she tucked herself down her hatch. She couldn't say why she did so, all she knew was by the time she had gotten herself back up and ready to shoot, Lieutenant Parker's tank was on fire.

"Ambush, right! Right side, ambush!" Boyd hollered out. Don was first to fire bullets at the Germans hidden within the trees. Everyone was screaming at somebody, telling them to shoot or to be careful.

"You watch that tree line, Natalia! We're ripe for an ambush!" Grady yelled down below to his sister. Natalia grabbed ahold of her pistol, aiming it at the trees. She fired two shots, unknowing if they did any good or if she was just wasting ammo. In front of her, she watched Lieutenant Parker burn.

Her and the lieutenant were never good friends, Natalia wasn't sure if she could even call him a friend, but when she saw him climb out of the tank engulfed in flames, she suddenly wished she had been kinder to him. He screamed in agony, in fear. When he dropped to the ground, he rolled, like how they were taught to in elementary school if an accident ever occurred. The fire didn't go away. It was then Lieutenant Parker pulled out his pistol and ended his own life.

Norman watched in horror, his first real experience of war.

"What'd you see, Boyd?" Don questioned as he jumped down from the tank, gun in hand. He didn't hesitate to rush into the tree line. Boyd was crouched down, attempting to hide himself behind the gun positioned on top of the tank. Natalia had no idea what he had saw, but she didn't like the looks of his reaction.

Everyone waited patiently for Don to come back. They waited to hear if anymore gun shots would be ring out and they all waited for their blood pressure to lower back to normal. It didn't take long for them to hear Don yell out Norman's name, obviously enraged about something or another.

"You cocksucker. Why didn't you take the shot?" Don trudged through the trees and up to Norman, climbing on top of the tank once more. Natalia moved to the side as best she could to offer her sergeant more room. The last thing she wanted was to get in his way and be the next one he took his anger out on.

"He was just a kid. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, Sergeant." the desperation was clear in Norman's voice. He was truly sorry, Natalia could tell. She knew he never wanted anyone to get hurt. Don grabbed the boy by the collar of his jacket, forcing him up to look at the tank ahead of them.

"See what a kid can do?" he questioned. Norman's eyes trailed to the burning body; "look! That's your fault." Don told the boy. Norman looked up at his Sergeant, and for the first time in his life, he was genuinely scared of another man; "that's your fucking fault. Next German you see with a weapon you rake the dog shit out of him. I don't care if it's a baby with a butter knife in one hand and mama's titty in the other, you chop him up!" Don released Norman from his grasp, but not without slapping him once over the head. Thankfully, the boy was wearing his helmet.