ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

"Fuck off, Don! I don't wanna talk to you!" Natalia screamed from the other side of the door

"Fuck off, Don! I don't wanna talk to you!" Natalia screamed from the other side of the door. She could taste the salt from her tears when she opened her mouth.

"Dove, open the door." Don's voice wasn't its usual harsh and demanding tone, this time, it was soft and sorry; "please."

"No! Go fuck that Kraut bitch! Obviously you want to!" Natalia couldn't believe the words that were spilling out of her mouth. Her mother would die of shock if she heard her sweet daughter using such profanities. Natalia knew better than to be this disrespectful, Emma wasn't the one to blame for this.

"Natalia. Let me explain." Don stood on the opposite side of the door, his forehead pressed against the wall. One hand was placed on the doorknob, and the other behind his head. He knew the door was unlocked, but he preferred for Natalia to allow him inside instead of barging in.

"Explain what? You made yourself perfectly clear!" Natalia knew it was only a matter of time before Don got pissed off, his compassion wouldn't last forever. But this time, it was different. Don wanted her, needed her, to open the door. He needed to apologize, something that only happened on rare occasions, when he knew for a fact he was in the wrong; "just leave me alone."

"I can't do that, darling."

Darling. That name flooded Natalia's mind with all sorts of memories she wanted to forget in this moment. The time Don took her virginity in France, and the countless times they slept together afterwards. In Belgium, when she fell ill with dengue fever. She was laid up in a hospital for nearly a week, throwing up every hour and her joints ached like they never had before. Don refused to leave her side, and he wouldn’t listen to the possibility of having to replace the girl. The time in North Africa when she was certain she had lost her brother for good, she thought he was dead. Don was there to console her. During their first few days in Germany, Natalia awoke in the middle of the night, asking Don where they were. He was patient, understanding, even cradled her in his arms till she fell back asleep.

Hearing that name is what made Natalia wipe her tears, get up from the floor and slowly creak open the door. Don repositioned himself, standing straight and tall in the doorway. He was shirtless still, and freshly shaven. He was very handsome, Natalia thought.

"Dove." Don started, he had so many things he could say to try and fix this.  "I'm sorry, darling."

"You cut yourself." Natalia said in a quiet whisper. She brought her hand up to his face, gently wiping away the crimson blood that gathered on top of a small cut. Don didn't say anything. Natalia grabbed a small towel, wet the end, then dabbed it on his cheek; "Did you mean it? What you said about taking her into the bedroom?"

"No." Don stood still, allowing the girl to clean him up; "but do you think Norman would have had the balls to ask her himself?" The sergeant carefully moved one hand to Natalia's face, making her look up at him. She gave him an understanding smile, a sign of forgiveness. Once Natalia was finished with the towel, Don held the girl in his arms for a minute or two until she started to pull away.