ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7

Natalia practically basked in the feeling of this short term freedom

Natalia practically basked in the feeling of this short term freedom. No one was fighting with one another, there wasn't any German artillery and tanks to worry about. Just relaxation. The girl found herself sitting with her crew, conversing with smiles on their worn-out faces. Don was nowhere to be found, they all naturally assumed he was in Fury. It dawned on Natalia that Norman was also missing, though no one else seemed to notice this. She wasn't sure why she cared so much, but the girl wanted the other two present, to enjoy the moment while it lasted. She decided to make her way to the tank, though she stopped inches away from her open hatch when she heard the conversation from inside.

"I had the best bow gunner in the entire Ninth Army in that seat," Red; "and now I got you." Don's tone was far from malicious, but it definitely wasn't enthusiastic; "I promised my crew a long time ago I'd keep them alive. You're getting in the way of that."

"I'm sorry. Okay, I am trained to type sixty words a minute. I am not trained to machine-gun dead bodies. I am trying my very best." Norman explained, and it sounded like he's been wanting to say those exact words since the moment he first realized what his new job would entail.

From behind her, Natalia heard indistinct shouting coming from her fellow soldiers. Don also picked up on the commotion and he was quick to pop up from his hatch, spotting the girl in ear shot.

"You alright, Dove?" the sergeant asked.

"Yes, I was looking for you." Natalia said truthfully. For a split second, Natalia swore on her life, Don's eyes softened at the words that left her mouth. Though the two couldn't ignore the obvious tension from the tree line.

A German soldier was found wearing an American soldiers jacket.

Don climbed his way out of the machine, standing close beside Natalia on the hard surface of the tank. They watched as the Americans tossed the German around like a rag doll, shoving the barrels of their guns into his face. The German was frightened beyond a reasonable doubt, though no one on the opposing side held any sympathy for him.

"Sergeant! Hold on!" Don jumped off of Fury. He turned to face the tank with his hand out, allowing Natalia to grab ahold of him so she too could jump off the vehicle; "Norman, get out here!"

The young boy did what he was told, fearful of what would happen if he objected. Don told him once more to get out of the tank, he even called the soldier 'son'. Natalia walked her way over to the German, her hands shoved into her pockets. The wind was starting to pick up, causing a chill to strike down her back. Don urged Norman along close behind the girl.

"Sergeant. Call your dogs off." Don spat as he got closer.

The Americans formed half a circle, a barricading to prevent the German from making a run for it into the tree line where he was previously hidden. The cursing and insults slowly faded, and the German was begging in his native language to spare him. He showed Don a photo of his wife and children. If he wasn't the enemy, Natalia would have felt some compassion, though her sergeant was quick to slap the photos onto the ground. They landed in the mud, where everyone thought they belonged.