Chapter 14- Meeting Jill

I made sure the boys and Becks would stay tame while my parents were in town. I didn't know what to expect from Beck. I didn't know if she would stay out of our hair. As for the boys, I rarely saw them anyways.

Days would pass before I ran into them, even with my instructions that they weren't allowed to turn people, but I knew they were being cautious about who they kidnapped. They had tact and ambition to grow the coven, and I gave them full transgression as to who they turned, though I heavily made suggestions they would often follow.

My parents showed up that night. I had fed right before I picked them up from the Seattle airport. Kent was too small, and too close to a major airport, to justify having its own.

"What's that smell on your breath?" My mom asked.

"If the girl wants to have some liquor, let her," my dad saved me.

"Who is this?" I asked pointing to the gawky, scrawny teenager cowering behind them.

"This is your new sister, Jill!" My mom answered with excitement in her voice. They hadn't warned me they'd already gotten her, but I tried to play nice, so I flashed her a halfhearted smile.

"I didn't realize that was already a thing. Nice to meet you, Jill," I offered my hand.

Jill took it and said, "delighted."

"Her English is very good," I remarked, at the clearly Asian in origin girl.

"Well, I'm American," Jill sassed.

"Sorry, I didn't know. I wasn't there to adopt you. You were kept a secret from me for a long time, Jill," I spat her name in mockery of the situation.

"You don't know a lot of things about me," Jill threatened.

"Girls!" Mom interjected, "be nice to each other! Especially you, Sam."

"Why especially me?" I provoked a response while whining.

"You're the older sister! You should know to be the bigger person," my mom shot a wicked glance at me and Jill.

"And?" I asked, not truly understanding why they adopted a seventeen-year-old girl. If no one else wanted her all this time, she clearly came with baggage, or at least I thought she would've. Apparently, my parents had had eyes on this particular child for over five years. While most families couldn't tame her wild side, she was incredibly bright, having a perfect 4.0 GPA in her schooling career up until her senior year, which would begin soon enough, and she would probably maintain her perfect GPA. Although, that probably wasn't the reason my parents took on the challenge.

Even as an orphan, Jill was lead chair in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. That— I suspected— was the reason I believe my parents took the risk. They had an immense love for classical music, and I was a huge disappointment, because I always wanted to learn guitar and drums, not violin and piano. On top of the high esteem she had as an orchestra member, Jill had also received a perfect score on the ACT and SAT, which was even more impressive considering her humble background.

"And Jill has had a rough life in foster care," my mom concluded.

"Let's get these bags in the car," my dad said before things could escalate.

The car ride was silent, except for the soft music I had playing. Jill put in her headphones and listened to her own music. I was wondering what she was listening to. It was some sort of podcast about vampires from what I could barely hear. She would be very weary of me.

I caught the little shit creeping around my house that night. She was so creepy and weird. It seemed as if she wanted to be a vampire hunter. I wiped the night's chase off my lips as I entered the house. I didn't think she noticed, she was too busy checking down the hallway for evidence.