Chapter 8- The Cure

My circle was starting to grow. I was gearing up for a massacre. It had been a long time coming as well. For so long, I could barely make a single friend, but by then, there was now five of us with a similar goal.

I wanted to save Dawn. But we still numbered very few. The cure intrigued me. There was no lore about it. No one but witches knew anything about it, and most witches didn't even know about it, only those who practiced dark magic. I was curious what this cure would be like. How effective could it be to cure tens of thousands of vampires?

Vampirism wasn't something to take lightly, but even more crazy was this: there are more vampires than billionaires. There are just over four thousand billionaires, and Jess estimated long ago that there were around twenty thousand vampires. This knowledge disturbed me. Was it the vampires ruling the billionaires or the billionaires ruling the vampires?

My parents were both billionaires. Was my upbringing really so bizarre? Was I privileged? I felt as if I really had no real perspective. I was sick. My parents probably bought my place at UGA. I know they did with my first college: Yale University, one in which I would never even finish a full semester. I wasn't nearly bright enough to continue the Thrainhammer legacy, in which both my parents had at least a master's from a Ivy League college. I knew I was a huge disappointment to them, but how could I have possibly lived up to the lofty expectations they had of me?

From a young age, I had been given private lessons in several major fields. By the age of five, I was fluent in three languages, reading at a sixth grade level as only a kindergartener. As I aged, my impressive output would diminish, as I couldn't handle the immense pressure they had placed on me. By the time I made it to high school, I had totally rejected my parents' tough criticism. And I truly became my own person. And while they handled my defiance well, they constantly expressed disappointment in their "Golden Child."

I needed to stop. I felt as if my being transgender was enough to make me different, but I was still the enemy of most. I was too privileged to be a leader, but I had to lead. I was born to end this uprising.

Weeks of slaying rogues passed. But I really didn't want to kill them if there was a universal cure. I killed them, yes, but there was another way to end their plague.

Simone and I were seeing a witch, then she said something curious, "... there must always be a balance," I wasn't paying attention to what she was saying before that.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"The cure is of dark magic," the witch spoke.

"Yes, but where is it hidden?" I quizzed.

"Europe?" She guessed; she clearly didn't know for sure. "That's where the first witches originated from."

"What country?" I threatened.

"Your guess is as good as mine, but the first witch was born in modern day Ukraine. I'd start there," she informed.

I thought for a second. The world was a massive place. I couldn't just search for it. I needed answers first. I needed clues.

"Thank you, Ciri," I said as I tossed her a small bag for payment.

"What is this?" Ciri asked.

"It's murr," I replied.

"What the hell am I supposed to do with this? Murr doesn't pay my rent," she said as she handed the bag back.

"You want cash?" Simone asked, eager to get involved in the conversation.

"Dollar bills, y'all," she laughed, showcasing her southern origins.

"Do you have any cash?" I asked as I looked to Simone.