Tessa Sepsis

Written as if you are Tessa

"Tess? Are you ok?" Tom asks as he kneels beside you. You're panting and trying to get air into your lungs as he strokes his hand along your side. "Have you been on a big walk?" He asks, but you close your eyes and whimper. "Tess," He says and you keep panting. He puts his hand on your belly and kisses your neck. "Oh Tess. Sam," Tom calls and you open your eyes. You see Sam's feet appear in the hallway before he starts talking.
"What is it Tom?"
"Has Tessa been out for a walk today?"
"Not yet. Why?"
"She's panting and her chest feels tight," Tom says and you whimper as you move your legs a little. "Shhh, it's ok Tess," Tom says as he strokes your head and Sam kneels beside you.
"She's sweating."
"She's been whimpering and I don't know how she's been panting."
"Is she sick?"
"She might be," Tom says before they both run their hands over your body. You close your eyes and there's some talking before Tom picks you up. You bark a little before you let your head rest against Tom's arm in exhaustion. "Aww Tess. I've never seen her like this Sam."
"Neither have I," Sam said and you kick your leg. "I'll get the car started."
"Thanks. I've got you Tess. I've got you," Tom says.

~

You whimper as Tom lays you onto his lap and the car moves. You would be excited about going in the car if you weren't so tired. You feel your breathing getting worse and your leg is aching. "Sam, Tessa's started wheezing."
"What?"
"She's struggling to breathe."
"Really?"
"Yeah," Tom says and he strokes you. You bark loudly as pain shoots through your leg. "Oh Tessa, I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."
"What have you done?"
"I must have touched something painful. I was just stroking her," Tom says and you bark before you whimper. "It's ok Tess. It's ok," Tom says before he checks you gently. "Oh, her leg."
"What is it?"
"She's got a wound on her leg and it looks infected."
"Shit."
"I think that's what's making her sick."
"Right," Sam says and pain shoots through your body once more and you twist your body. Tom presses on your leg and the agony drives you to bite his hand.
"Argh! Tessa!" Tom shouts before he grabs your mouth and moves you. All your senses go funny and you lay down, exhausted.
"Fuck, that's a lot of blood Tom. Are you ok?"
"No, Tessa bit my hand. Argh..." Tom says before everything in your vision goes black.

~

"Tess? Hey Tess," Tom says as you slowly become aware. There are new smells here and your body is sore. You whimper and you can feel Tom gently stroking your ear. "Aww Tess, it's ok. I'm here, it's ok."
"Is she awake Tom?"
"Yeah, she just whimpered."
"Awww Tess," Sam says and you sneeze.
"Tessa," They both say and you open your eyes.
"Hey Tess. You're such a good girl."
"You're a really good girl," Sam says as you look at them. Sam's hand smells good, so you start licking it.
"What have you got in your hand Sam?"
"A few treats. The vet said to soak them in water to make sure she gets enough moisture."
"That sounds good," Tom says and you gently wrap your teeth around his Sam's hand. "No Tess. Careful," Tom says and he makes you let go. Sam them opens his hand. You eagerly eat the treats and Tom strokes you. "There's a good girl."
"There's a very good girl," Sam says and you look at them before you see Tom's hand.

There's something white over it and it smells funny. You nudge it with your nose and Tom winces. Seeing that he's in pain, you move your head and lick his hand a little.
"No Tess. Leave it," Sam says as he stops you licking Tom's hand.
"It's ok Sam," Tom says as he takes the bandage off and you see blood. There's a mark on his hand and he's been hurt. "Here you are Tess," Tom says before he he moves his hand towards you and you lightly lick it . You sit up and continue licking his hand as Sam puts his hands into you.
"It's healing well Tom."
"It is. Tessa didn't mean it, she was just in pain."
"I know."
"You didn't mean it did you Tess? No, no you didn't," Tom says before he smothers you with kisses. He gently pushes you over and you close your eyes.
"Be careful with her Tom."
"I'm being careful with her."
"Ok. She looks like she needs rest."
"She needs lots of rest if she's to get better."
"Are you going to stay with her?"
"I will. Yeah."
"Ok. No walking her round. She has to rest for the medicine to work effectively."
"I know. She'll be dizzy and feeling wobbly from the anaesthetic too."
"Exactly. See you later mate."
"See you later," Tom says and he lays down beside you before cuddling you. You shift and move your head so that it is resting against his chest. "Hey Tess. I'm here," Tom says and you try to curl into him. "Hey, I've got you," Tom adds and he moves your body, allowing you to nussle into him. "That's it. You're ok," Tom says, but something suddenly pulls on your foot and you yelp in pain.
"Oh Tess, what's wrong?" Tom asks and you bite at your foot. "No. No Tess. Don't bite that. No," Tom says and he pulls you away, but you go back to it. He puts his hand in the way and you put your teeth around his fingers before you stop. You lick it instead and lay back, exhausted. "Oh Tess. I'm here, I've got you," Tom says and you fall asleep.