Chapter 6

Chapter Six

I'm Sorry

"Shinobu-san, you are really pretty..." Zenitsu said. I can see sparkles in his eyes. Suddenly he reminds me of Mitsuri.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Are you close with Giyu-san?" Tanjiro asked.

I looked up pretending to think, then chuckled. "Nope. We are just classmates. That's it." I said.

"But the way you two interacted earlier makes me think you two are close friends."

"Oh, yeah, you teased him!" Zenitsu pointed his pointer at me.

"I always tease him." I said shaking my head. "I bet he is even annoyed of me,"

We all chuckled and chit chat for a few minutes before they were called in for their discussions. I returned to our classroom.

"How did it go with Tomioka, Shinobu?" Mitsuri asked as soon as I sat down at my seat.

"It was normal," I said. Then suddenly, a memory hit my head, "by the way, does Tomioka have a sibling?" I asked.

"Oh, hmm... I think, yes? I am not sure though." She said. I nodded.

Tomioka then entered the room holding a folder. He walked pass through the distance between my seat and Mitsuri's and sat at his seat.

I looked back at him. He gave me a, 'What-is-this-again' look. I smiled at him.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"Council room, had to get these papers to report it to our adviser." He said. I was shocked because he responded, and with a few details. If it was before, he would just say, 'Council room'.

"Oh, okie." I replied.

"I, uhm, also submitted our report to our council adviser, regarding the freshmen issue." He spoke behind me. I looked back.

"Wait, what? You have already done the report?" I asked. It was supposed to be our job, not his alone.

"Yeah."

"Why? You could've consulted me." I said.

"So, you won't have to do it." He simply replied.

"Do you not trust me?" I asked politely, but I was in a terrible mood on the inside.

"It's not that, Kocho." He said looking away.

"Then what?! It was our work, Tomioka." I said. I fixed my gaze on him, and he returned my stare with the same intensity. Then he closed his eyes and looked at me with a more calm expression.

"You're busy, okay? I want to lessen the burden." He said. "I want to help." He murmured.

"I was free," I responded.

"You were treating their wounds and-" He was about to continue it but then he heavily sighed. "Okay, I apologize if it seems like I do not trust you." He continued. I merely stared at him for a moment before averting my gaze. Instead, I returned my focus to the front and began jotting notes.

I feel genuinely bad. I know I am new but, he doesn't have to rub it on my face. Even though he said that it wasn't because he doesn't trust me, it still made me feel weirdly bad inside.

"Good morning, Hashiras." One morning, our adviser greeted us. The first Hashira task was completed two days ago. I haven't spoken to Tomioka since, and he appears to be the type who doesn't give a damn. As a result, it didn't feel empty.

It was mostly me bothering and talking to him.

"This is a task given by our principal. We were asked to look after the sophomores for one period, thirty minutes from now. The professors and teachers will be having a quick meeting for our incoming fair day. I hope this is all well to you." Mr. Ubuyashiki was walking in front of us. He summoned us right after our morning assembly because we have an important duty to do.

"Yes, sir." Half of us said in unison. A few just nodded seriously.

"There are five sophomore sections, there will be four pairs, and one will go solo." He continued. "Uzui Tengen and Rengoku Kyojoro you two go along quite well, you will look after the first section." Both of them nodded at Mr. Ubuyashiki.

"I wonder who I'll be paired with." Mitsuri whispered beside me. "I hope it's you." She said. I giggled.

"Mitsuri Karunji and Obanai Iguro, you will be handing the second section." Our adviser said.

"Yes, sir." Mitsuri said. "Bye." She looked at me and whispered jokingly. I giggled again.

"Muichiro Tokito and Sanemi Shinazugawa will be assigned to the third section." Tokito went towards Sanemi's place. They both nodded at each other.

Oh well... There is a huge possibility I'll be paired up again with-

"Kocho Shinobu and Tomioka Giyu, will be assigned to the fourth section."

I knew it.

None of us bothered to go to each other's places. Our feet are glued on to the floor we are standing on.

And Gyomei-san is going solo.

"So, the instructions are clear? Just look after them. You can give them activities and such, just make sure they won't make a huge ruckus." He said. All of us said 'yes'. "Okay, good. I will leave you all for now here. You can stay and relax before your duties. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!"

Mr. Ubuyashiki left the room and now the Hashiras are all alone. This is actually our first time having a get together without our council adviser.

"It's nice working with you again, Uzui." Rengoku shook Tengen-san's hand.

"I'm glad to be working with you too."

"Wahhh, I'm happy to be paired with you, Obanai-sama, but I wish I was paired with Shinobu though." Mitsuri ran towards me and hugged me. "We can chit chat and play with the sophies!" She said.

"Obanai is very happy to be paired with you Mitsur- Ow!" Tengen-san's words were cut off when Obanai kicked him in the leg. He just laughed it all out while Obanai's glaring at him.

"You really do look like your sister, Shinobu." Tengen-san then talked to me.

"I am her sister after all." I said.

"Someone here has a huge cru- "This time it was Sanemi who slapped Tengen's back. What was he about to say?

"You're very annoying today, Uzui." Sanemi said, glaring. Tengen just ignored him and turned to me.

"Congratulations on your first duty, Shinobu. I heard it from our adviser you did well on the reports." He said. I looked at him confusingly.

"Oh, I did nothing much though. Maybe I was quite incapable of helping in doing the task." I said.

I can hear Tomioka's deep sigh from my place.

"Who was your partner, or did you do it alone?" Tengen-san asked.

"That doesn't matter, honestly." I said.

"Well, anyways, I can feel that you are great." He said genuinely. I smiled at him. "Tomioka's your partner today, right?" He asked. I nodded.

My gaze fell on his, and we exchanged glances. I averted my gaze and preoccupied myself with reading the bulletin board reports. Everyone's talking with someone right now.

I can feel Tomioka walking towards me, then he stopped at the spot next to mine.

He sighed heavily and said, "I'm sorry."