Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Ocean

The next day dawned cloudy and rainy. Children were sprinting from their service to the open court of the school. The sound of raindrops continued to reverberate across the area. Currently in my school uniform and rainboots and I am bringing an umbrella with me.

In spite of my father's pleas, I turned down the offer to ride in the car with him. I enjoy the experience of walking to and from school each day.

I could see Shinazugawa wandering about in his dripping wet clothes from a distance. My sister's friendship with him has led me to recognize him.

I approached him to keep him from getting drenched in the rain.

"Good morning, Shinazugawa-san."

"Oh, good morning... Shinobi?" he joked. "Kidding, Shinobu." He said.

"I want to ask things about my sister." I told him. My question startled him.

"Uhm... A-About Kanae?" He asked. I nodded. "What about her?"

"Nothing, just want to ask her roles and duties as a Hashira." I asked him.

"Oh, she was really incredible." He simply said. "Too bad we didn't graduate together." His voice seems down.

We walked together till we arrived at the university's gates.

"See you, Shinobu." He waved his hand.

I went towards my classroom and directly at my seat.

"Good morning, Kocho." Rengoku turned around to look at me.

"Good morning, Rengoku-san." I greeted him. I've heard from my sister that Rengoku, Gyomei, Sanemi, and Tengen were once her classmates. But Gyomei had to halt his studies when they were reaching third year. Then Sanemi, Tengen, Rengoku had to stop when they were reaching fourth year. Gyomei had to home school for one year so he can catch up with Sanemi, Tengen, and Rengoku.

Tomioka walked pass beside my seat and sat at his place.

"Good morning, Tomioka-san." I smiled at him. He nodded at me. Again.

I ignored him after then proceeded to greet Mitsuri who just arrived recently. She smiled at me.

She then proceeds to walk in front after placing her bags at her seat.

"Good morning, loves. Our adviser has announced that we will be announcing the people who are qualified to become Hashiras. The people who were interested submitted their forms yesterday." Mitsuri announced. "We will scan through their answers as to why they wanted to become one, this will be our guide into knowing if they are passionate towards become a Hashira."

I raised my hands, "And when will we be voting, miss Karonji?" I asked.

Mitsuri smiled at me, "Later after lunch, Shinobu."

A few were asking questions, and she answered everything.

I turned my back to talk to Tomioka. "Do you think I'll qualify, Tomioka-san?" I asked

He looked at me, "Yeah." He said.

Why do I feel giddy?

It was just a simple answer from him.

"I think you won't." I teased again. He looked at me with confused eyes. "Kidding, I have a feeling you will." I replied.

Throughout the day, I spent my time listening to the teachers and jotting new formulas for a medicine, which I did during my break. I was born into a family of doctors. And my sister is on her way to becoming one. Because she enjoys looking after others. To think that she met a little girl, and she took care of her, talks so much about her personality.

My sister is exceptionally kind, and she would become a good doctor.

I am interested in medicine as well, but not on the taking care of people part. Maybe a bit though. But I'm more interested into finding remedies to the existing diseases and illnesses.

Well, I would love to pursue Pharmacy, and go to Med School right after. My sister's taking nursing.

"Kocho, Kocho..." When Tomioka called my name, I was whisked away back to the present.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"Your water's spilling."

"Oh no!" I immediately got my water bottle. It created a little puddle behind my chair and in front Tomioka's place.

"I truly apologize." I said. He nodded softly.

"I'll get you a mop," He stood up.

"Oh, no, no, please, just me."

"It's fine, I know where it is." He walked away.

Wow... He offered. That surprised me.

He then returned a few minutes holding a mop. He slowly mopped the puddle, while he was mopping, I took the opportunity to look at his face.

Well, I can't say he's not appealing. With pure honesty, he is. His piercing blue eyes appear to be lifeless, but mysterious, like the vast ocean. It's as if his eyes contain all of the world's secrets. I don't know anything about him because we only met yesterday. But his indifference to my snide remarks makes me grin and smile. His straight, spiky hair is pulled back into a low ponytail. He's also got a few fringes on his face.

I was taken aback when he cast a glance at me, so I averted my gaze.

Oh my, what if he thinks I'm checking him out?

"Done, Kocho." He said. I nodded at him and just went back to my seat and tried creating formulas again to divert my attention.

Lunch came and I ate alone at my seat. I got so lazy to go to the cafeteria. Also, the crowd bothers me a bit.

"Oh, hi Tomioka-san." I greeted him. It looks like he came from the café, he got himself a sushi roll and a pack of juice.

It's just the two of us here in the room. The silence was so evident that I could even hear the air conditioner blowing air.

We ate in silence as I did a few equations on my notepad.

I turned my back on him and he seemed so shock at my move that he swiftly hid the paper he was writing on. His pen even fell on the floor.

"Oh, I'm sorry I surprised you." I said as I knelt to pick up his pen from the floor. I felt his hand on mine as we both did it at the same time. "Uhm, here." I smiled.

"Thanks..." He murmured.

"So, I was about to ask if you have any interest in medicine."

"Uhm, no," He said not even looking at me. I can see a glimmer of sweat on his brow. Is he even well? The room is really cold, why the hell is he sweating?

"Ohh, okie." I shrugged my thoughts off and just turned my back on him and continued writing.

Lunch break ended and now we will know the people who are qualified to become Hashiras. I couldn't say I am nervous though.

Mister Ubuyashiki posted 20 papers at the bulletin. Students then flocked the whole area. Most were seniors. I saw Mitsuri crying at the corner. I wanted to take a peek at the board but I went to Mitsuri instead.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked her. She saw me and hugged me tight. "Uhh, is there any problem? Are you not qualified?" I asked her.

She wiped her tears and looked at me, "I am in!" She said. I sighed in relief. "I'm so happy! This is my final year in High School, I thought I couldn't make it! Now the voting we go!!"

"Congratulations!" I told her. She nodded at me and smiled sweetly.

"Why don't you look at the list?" She said.

I walked away from her and to the board. Gyomei-san was leading, next to him was Rengoku. The name next to Rengoku surprised me.

Oh my, it's mine!

Kocho Shinobu. I did a little happy dance inside my head.

I smiled seeing the name below mine,

Tomioka Giyu.