She shrugged. "Training means nothing," she explained with a roar. "He must show that he can handle scars and loss, and still keep his fur." The expression on Rioka's face, the slight curling of her lips, and the softness in her eyes, betrayed her words. She was proud of her son, like any mother would be, especially when he was walking in her footsteps. "But he is no disappointment so far. Thank you for your curiosity."

"A pleasure. Keep me posted, General."

"And you me. I await today's challenges with hunger."

Rioka signed off, and Adjooto was at the door. Aviri paused for a moment before permitting the Municipate to enter. How was she going to get these various groups to work together? The wookiees and trandoshans were like wild beasts: hungry for battle, quick to anger, and driven by instinct. Or worse.

There I go again. Thinking like the xenists whose power I've sworn to dismantle. Embarrassed, she quickly banished those hypocritical judgments from her mind. Aviri prided herself on being an inclusive caretaker of the galaxy's species, but it was something she had to work at. Every person did.

She sighed to herself. It was time to let that disgusting, greedy Adjooto in. She motioned for the door to open. Municipate Adjooto swaggered in with unusual, but not uncharacteristic confidence.

"What did you think of my speech?" Adjooto asked. "The crowd was eating out of my hands after Leego's song. Rodia Prima is more united and impassioned than ever." Aviri gestured for him to sit down at the table, but he walked past the chair, and continued excitedly: "It was intoxicating out there. This is why I love being a politician. My words harnessing all those voices and weaving them into one, like the conductor of a magnificent orchestra. Their bellies cry out for justice, trusting me to channel their anger to--"

"I hate to interrupt your... appraisal of your own success, but there is work to do." Adjooto deflated visibly, and Aviri felt hostility towards her bubble to the surface. "You did well," she said to assuage him. "You aroused that group of politically-minded zealots in the square. But is all of Rodia Prima united? Hardly. We both know it will take more than a speech to make that happen." She smiled. "Now sit. You have a whole symphony to perform, master conductor."

Adjooto waved his hand, but did take a seat. "And so I will."

"Good. Remember, this is where your political rivals will decry your position, claim you're... overreacting like usual, and to counter you, they'll go to the other extreme. Usually, they'd be fine doing this, except... we know what's coming next. So it will be in your interest to-"

"Stand firm. I know. Gods, I'm not some political dilettante. I know that this will turn opinion in my favor in the end. They'll march after me like a bunch of mindless toads."

"Focus. I've arranged for you to speak in the next hour with a poor mother in Sukabeku. She's lost a husband and three sons to the mines... including one to Skywalker Enterprises."

"That's good," Adjooto said with a smile. "I need to soften the hearts of some conservative members." He lightly pulled on one of the thicker tendrils on the top of his head in thought. "The interview and my closing remarks should give me the opportunity."

"I'm glad you agree. I'll send the details to you."

Adjooto managed to put on an even smugger expression than usual. "Sure you will. I have quite the job cut out for me, between arranging Krul's attack and securing Rodia's future. Why do I need you again? What is it you do, Master Aviri?" he asked disdainfully. "Conduct me?"

And it's no easy task. She knew she shouldn't take that bait, so she laughed. "No one could control you, Adjooto. At least that's what your... two wives have told me." He grunted. "You and I are partners in a cause. If I direct, I only do so as far as you and others allow me." Adjooto softened, but with an edge of suspicion. "As for what I have been up to, I recently gained all the evidence we'll need to implicate the Republic, to show that their military executed an operation that... deftly compromised your Rodia's sovereignty."