Chapter Thirty-One - Flying Daggers

There are five targets standing side by side and all but the first one are cleared of daggers from the previous competitors. Loki stands and watches as the fourth and last competitor before him throws his last dagger. The little Valkyrie sits next to Queen Frigga and holds her breath, her hands gripping the armrests tightly. Queen Frigga glances at her and the smallest smile escapes but is gone in a flash. The dagger flies and lands just inside of the bullseye and the crowd finally cheers for this fourth competitor.

     "I can't see from here. Did he hit the bullseye? Can Loki still win?" asks the little Valkyrie.

     Queen Frigga chuckles. "Breathe, child. We are about to find out."

     The young man that measures dagger placement walks over to the first target and steadily makes his way through all of them measuring the second competitor's dagger placement to the fourth's. Once a competitor has hit all five targets, the young man gives a thumbs up if the competitor successfully overthrows the winner before him. If they fall short, the young man gives a thumbs down and the previous winner keeps their top spot. The competitors also must throw once with their nondominant hand and they can choose when to switch. A thumbs up and the crowd cheers again.

     "Give it up for Ivar!" yells the host. "Now it all comes down to this ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls. Can our Prince Loki claim victory and take Ivar's winning seat?"

     Loki walks up to the table where the five daggers are laid out for him to use. They all have a green grip surrounded by metal painted gold. He takes them all carefully since these weapons are actually sharp in order to stay on the targets once they have been thrown. With four daggers in his left hand and one in his right, Loki walks towards the first target, intense concentration on his face. He stands in front of the first and takes a deep breath.

     The crowd is completely silent waiting with bated breath. Most of the knives in this first target are all over the place since the first three competitors all chose to start with their nondominant hands. Ivar's dagger is the only one close to the bullseye because he threw with his nondominant on the third target. With surprising speed, Loki's hand shoots forward and his dagger flies forward hitting the bullseye perfectly. The crowd whispers quietly since his mark is clear to see based on the rest of the daggers that remain on the first target's surface.

     The little Valkyrie clasps her hands together in a tight grip as if sheer willpower will help her best friend and she concentrates on his back. Loki quickly walks over to stop in front of the second target, with no hint of emotion or pride on his face whatsoever. With the same speed and accuracy, he lets the next two daggers loose. Most of Ivar's daggers hit close or on the bullseyes and with the targets being cleared, there is no way to tell how the placement of Loki's daggers fare until they are measured against Ivar's.

     "Why would Loki do the hardest challenge last?" whispers the little Valkyrie as she leans towards the Queen.

     Queen Frigga leans towards her and whispers. "Just watch, little one and you will see why."

     Loki's remaining dagger is in his left hand and he walks over to the last target. His expression has not changed since he began and it does not change now. The little Valkyrie holds her breath as she presses her hands up to her mouth. Loki's left hand strikes out with almost the same speed as his right and his dagger meets the bullseye. The crowd cheers since no other competitor's nondominant hand thrown dagger made its way onto the bullseye. Loki moves and stands to the side as the young man comes back out.

     "He's the only one who made the bullseye with his other hand. That's really good news right?" whispers the little Valkyrie.

     Queen Frigga nods and whispers back. "It is indeed but the placement of the rest will decide the winner."