Chapter Twenty-Four - A Request

"I believe it is almost time for lunch, Kyrie. I will be right back to walk with you to the hall. Will you be alright on your own for a few minutes?"

     Loki stands up brushing off his pants as best as he can and looks at her. She is still sitting right next to the fence petting the foals as they take turns getting pet by her. She looks up at him with a smile and nods before she dissolves into giggles as one of the foals licks her fingers.

     "I'll be right here until you drag me away to eat some lunch."

     Loki raises an eyebrow at her. "I never thought I would see the day where you would not be running towards the hall for food. And I would never drag you anywhere, Kyrie. You do not have to go eat but your stomach might have a thing or two to say to you if you do not."

     She puts a hand to her stomach and winces. "You might be right. I'll be here until you come back."

     "I will not be long. Have fun."

     Loki vanishes and reappears close to where the metal and leather workers are. He walks over quickly to where the leather workers are and scans the area. He spots the youngest-looking one and heads over to him.

     "Are you Trygve?"

     The young man looks up from his work and his eyes widen in surprise.

     "Prince Loki, what a surprise. Yes, I'm Trygve. How can I be of service?"

     "Lady Sif told me that you are one of the best leatherworkers here."

     His jaw drops open before he quickly tries to compose himself again and clears his throat.

     "I don't know about one of the best here, Prince Loki. I'm only sixteen. But that is very kind of Lady Sif to say."

     "Age is just a number. If you are talented, then you are talented regardless of how old you are. If you are not too busy with other requests, I was wondering if you could help me with something."

     Trygve nods immediately. "Of course, Prince Loki. Whatever you need."

     "I am in need of a new saddle but not for myself, for my friend. I figure if she has her own horse, she should have her own saddle as well."

     "I know the little lady you mean. Consider it done, Prince Loki. Do you have any specific ideas in particular? The color of the leather or any specific decoration?"

     Loki thinks for a moment as he looks around Trygve's workstation. "Is darker leather harder to come by?"

     "Not at all."

     "Then a darker saddle would be perfect. As for any flourishes, I do not have any specific ideas. Perhaps something similar to this pattern you have sketched out on here."

     Loki picks up a scrap of paper and hands it to Trygve. It is a simple knot pattern with two lines that criss-cross and the ends curve back to the knot pattern.

     "Or is that too complex for leather design?"

     Trygve shakes his head. "It is actually one of the easier designs I can do. Are you sure that's all you want?"

     Loki nods once. "Yes. All around the edge of the saddle but that is plenty. The little Valkyrie is not one for grand or very feminine flourishes."

     Trygve chuckles. "Very well. I shall start working on it immediately. It will take me a little over a month."

     "There is no rush. If you have more important work that needs doing, there is no need to put that aside."