Chapter 43: Everybody Makes Mistakes

Start from the beginning

The blue-eyed girl sighs, tired of this dispute. "What are we doing? It's our summer vacation. We're at the beach, and we're fighting about karate?" she voices. Relief washes over Selena's body, happy she came to her senses. "When we should be fighting about boys," Aisha agrees, letting her guard down. "Oh, hell, nah, that's a stupid thing to fight about," Selena chimes in, making Sam giggle. "Even if it's Bad Bunny?" Aisha teases her. "Or Tom Holland? Chris Evans?" Sam adds. Selena just stares at them for a second. "I said 'boys,' those are men and they're mine," she finally states.

The other two laugh at her response. "Alright, no boy fights but what about who's gonna get the last piece of pretzel bread?" Sam jokes in a singsong voice. "Oh, no. That's mine," Aisha replies, rapidly swiping the last piece. "I got the second to last one so I'm good," Selena mentions, satisfied with herself. Sam chuckles at this before looking up, smiling at something in the distance. Selena and Aisha follow her line of vision, spotting Robby lying on a pool chair. Aisha's jaw drops and she turns to Sam. "So it's just you and abs all summer, training?" Aisha questions. "And me," Selena pipes up.

Sam playfully rolls her eyes and looks down, smiling and shaking her head. "God, that must be hard," Aisha sarcastically remarks before walking off. The cousins follow behind. "It is for me sometimes. I feel like an intruder when they share puppy love gazes," Selena jokes. Sam rolls her eyes again while Aisha chuckles. "Okay," Sam laughs as they go off to continue chatting. Meanwhile, Robby is relaxing with his eyes closed when a shadow suddenly blocks his sunlight. "I knew it was you," a voice says, making him open his eyes. "What did I say would happen if you ever stepped foot in here again?"

Robby slowly sits up as he stares at the man, stunned. "I'm calling the cops," the man states as he pulls out his phone. Seeing the boy's scared expression, Rosalía suddenly approaches with her arms folded over her chest. "Is there a problem here?" she speaks up, making the man whirl around. "Nothing to worry about, Mrs. Juárez LaRusso. Just removing this delinquent from the property," he answers, nodding his head toward Robby. The woman is not pleased with him referring to the boy as a delinquent. "Oh, well, I'd prefer it if you didn't. This delinquent happens to be our guest," she informs him. "Ma'am, I don't think you understand," the man claims.

"No, I don't think you understand. Robby is our guest. End of discussion," Rosalía sternly states. The man looks down for a second, not wanting to upset her. "My mistake," he answers before sauntering away. The woman watches him leave before turning to the boy, who gets nervous when she walks over. She stands by his chair, glancing down at it. 

"I'm gonna sit here so you move the leg," she voices, pointing to his leg. Robby moves his leg and Rosalía sits down. "Why did he wanna kick you out?" she asks him. The boy sighs, looking down shamefully before meeting her eyes. "Before I met you guys, I... I was a different person. Me and my friends did some stuff here that I regret," he confesses.

"Did you hurt anyone?" the woman asks with zero traces of judgment on her face or in her voice. "No. No, no, no, nothing like that," he answers, making Rosalía nod. She's relieved about that. "But that guy's right... maybe I should go," Robby utters. The woman instantly shakes her head. "No, mijo, you're fine. It's like Hannah Montana says: everybody makes mistakes," she utters. The boy gives her a questioning look, wondering how she knows Hannah Montana. "Aaliyah, Xavier, and Selena used to watch that show. I remember it well because the songs are catchy- but anyway..." she explains, cutting herself off to not get off track.

"I don't know one person who hasn't made mistakes. Do you?" she asks, to which Robby shakes his head. "Exactly. Our mistakes don't define us, what we do next does. Hm?" she tells him. The boy nods, taking her words to heart. "Okay, I'll leave you to it," Rosalía utters, slapping his knee before standing up. She turns to walk away when Robby suddenly stops her. "Mrs. JL?" She whirls back around at the sound of his voice. "Yeah?" she asks. The boy sends her a small grateful smile. "Thank you," he softly utters. He doesn't feel he's deserving of everything she and her family does for him, but he's so thankful either way. Rosalía returns the smile. "Of course," she replies before striding off.