BOOK 2: Because of Her Smile- CH #11

Sumi was shocked with the reception they received on arrival in port. She had thought they'd be attacked, but the sight of Enishi, had most of the dock workers saying hello, bowing with respect and others turning away in fear. She could feel that Enishi was also expecting trouble, he had his hands on the knives in his sleeves. Sumi became nervous as they walked down the dock, because there was a number of policemen coming towards them. Her surprise almost made her stumble, when they bowed and welcomed him back. For the most part, Enishi ignored everyone, or so it seemed. His eyes took in everything around them.

"Welcome back sir! We have a carriage coming to take you home.  Also tomorrow the Commissioner would like to have a meeting with you."

"Have him come in the afternoon," Enishi said.

Two men came and the police stepped aside, to make room for them too. They both bowed to Enishi. "Boss! We have a lot to report."

"Hu, Bolin, get the crew chiefs together. I want updates on everything.  Also any word on Heishin?"

The Chief Inspector answered, "he was taken into custody as soon as he arrived here. We are waiting on your instructions."

Enishi nodded, "I'll discuss things with the Commissioner tomorrow." He turned to the two men, "tonight I want an update."

The carriage arrived and Enishi lifted Sumi into it, before climbing in himself. "Pudong District house."

The horse-drawn carriage moved off and the police followed behind it. Sumi was looking at all the activity surrounding the ships and then the people of Shanghai, as they travelled down the street.

"I think since you're in the thick of it, I should be dressed in something more suitable to fight in," Sumi observed quietly in Chinese.

"At the end of the week, we'll get married. I don't want to wait, nor get distracted by business. Once things have settled, we'll go visit the other houses." Enishi, took her hand in his and laced his fingers through hers.

"Do you want me by your side during the meetings?" Sumi asked cautiously.

"I want you always by my side or in the shadows as you prefer, unless you don't want to. There's no one I trust, but you."

She turned his face and gave him a kiss. "You say the sweetest things sometimes. And yes I'll be by your side, always."

"At home I'll fill you in on my plans and our future."

To her that meant he didn't want anyone else to hear, what he had to say. Sumi already knew he was the Boss of the Shanghai Mafia and controlled the government in that area. She wondered how far his influence reached in China. Whether they lived in a shack or a mansion, mattered little to her, as long as they were together. Arriving at his house, Enishi helped Sumi out of the carriage and they walked through a gate. His thugs that guarded the entrance, greeted their boss and bowed deeply. Opening the front door, they entered. Sumi took in the high ceilings and art on the walls, along with the ornate carvings on the furniture and railings. She had thought he would have a more minimalistic interior.

"Those swords on the wall, are they just decoration or usable?" Sumi asked admiring the art.

"All of them I've used at one point or another."

"I've never seen these ones," she observed.

"Those are German, next are Russian, some are Chinese and you know the Japanese ones. These are British." He pointed to each country's swords. Come upstairs and I'll show you our bedroom and bathroom."

The bed could have fit five full grown men, it was that big. Again the carvings on the frame, were intricate. There was a sitting area around a fireplace and on the mantle was a picture of his sister.