CHAPTER #8

The day came when Enishi announced they'd be leaving the hut and going on into Toyama. The mare picked up on Sumi's nervousness and pranced impatiently.

"When we get there, are we going straight to the brothel or watching the place first?" Sumi asked.

"Watching and learning the patterns."

Enishi didn't mention he'd be selling the horses and setting up their escape if necessary, via the shipping company. From the smuggling operations he had set up between China and Japan, it was likely he knew someone in power at the dock or from the trading ships.

There was no one on the trail leading out of the mountains and into Toyama. The ride along the river, would've been relaxing, but every fibre in Sumi's body was telling her to run away. This was something she forced herself to overcome. Moving forward became the only option.

"Can I trust you Enishi?" She practically whispered.

He glanced at her. "If your life is in danger, I'll protect you." In that moment he realized she'd gained his loyalty and he'd found a new purpose in life.

The look in his eye, made her believe him, causing her to calm herself. "If I can't face my past, why bother living in the present."

Coming into town, they again left the horses at a stable, before continuing on foot. Across from the brothel was a hotel and they entered to purchase a room for the next few days. Enishi had to take Sumi's wrist and almost drag her along behind him, to get her to move up the stairs. Once in their room he let go.

"We can watch the place from here. And maybe tonight go for a closer look."

"They won't know you, no wanted posters here. Why don't you go inside?"

"Patience is our advantage. I'll get food and new clothes. Stay here and keep the curtain closed." Enishi said and then left.

He first went to the stable and sold the horses. Next it was the shipping yard to make arrangements for travelling to Shanghai. He also went to get the new clothes, which would be similar to what she already had, but he'd include a Kimono for when they travelled to China. The one he chose was blue like the sky and had white Koi swimming up river embroidered on it. Lastly Enishi bought food, asking which tea house was the best in town. Finally he returned to the room, to find Sumi doing Tai Chi and it made him smile.

She thought he was mocking her and explained, "it helps keep me centred and calm.... Something smells good."

He put the food on a little table, "help yourself."

"I can wait for you." Sumi finished her Tai Chi.

Enishi noticed something was bothering her, other than the current situation. "What?"

"Does it snow in Shanghai?"

"Rarely. Why?"

"I don't like snow." She turned away and confessed. "I killed for the first time when it was snowing.... He tore off my clothes, so I was naked and freezing. He beat me and tried to raped me.... I swore I would never be a victim again.... But I still hate snow."

"He deserved to die." Enishi said quietly. "I don't like snow either. My sister died when it was snowing."

Sumi had worried that he'd think she was weak and pathetic, but when she turned back to face him, Enishi was not judging her.

"Who was that man?"

"Touma's second in command. He liked young girls."

"He was a coward. There's no shame in what you did."  Enishi held out chopsticks to her, waiting for Sumi. "Let's eat."

She took them and sat down.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

Later that night, the two of them left the hotel. Enishi would present himself as a customer at the brothel, to find out if Touma was in town. Sumi would stay in the shadows and see if the interior had been remodelled.

Inside hadn't changed much to her surprise. There were two majestic dragon heads carved into the arm rest of chairs, that flanked an elegant daybed on the main floor. Those were all newer and she noticed coffee tables that held opium smoker's needs; lamps, bowls and long pipes all arranged so that a man laying on his side, could access it easily. On another round table, there were two clear glass bottles, one that held water and the other red wine.

Moving around a column by the railing, enabled her to see Enishi surrounded by women of every age, shape and size. He chose five all equally different, while flashing a thick stack of money. Those women lead him to a private room, which Sumi snuck into, before the door was closed. What Enishi did next was not what she had expected. He simply requested they give him a shoulder massage, while he sat and listened to their gossip.

"Tell me about your boss." Enishi waved more money at them.

Sumi listened to what the women told him, as they fawned over Enishi. Some words embarrassed her as they became lustful. The women were appreciating his chiselled muscles and handsome face. She left when they began to try and remove his pants. Sumi felt anger, but didn't know at whom it was directed; herself, him, those women or Touma.

Returning to the hotel, she lay on the floor with her face to the wall, curling up in a ball to cry. It was the only way to release the pain and anger, yet it was silently done.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

Enishi came into their shared hotel room and saw how she was against the wall. It was the first time he'd seen her lying with her back to the room. "Sumi?"

There was no movement, but he knew she wasn't sleeping. "Touma will be there tomorrow. You can finish things then."

He lay down on the bed, but she didn't join him. Enishi was irritated, because he didn't understand why she ignored him. "Come to bed."

The tone of his voice, would have made others obey immediately, but Sumi didn't move. She could be very stubborn. It made Enishi vexed, so he got up and came towards her. Crouching down, he reached out his hand, half expecting retaliation, when he touched her. But nothing happened. That alarmed him more, than if she had tried to knife him.

"I'm fine." She said firmly.

Unfortunately Enishi hadn't learned that those words were dangerous. So he picked her up and dumped Sumi on the bed. When she tried to go back to the floor, he stopped her physically. Sumi tried to launch an uppercut, but Enishi's reflexes were too fast.

"Sumi, it's me. Stop."

"I know it's you!" Her struggles became more frantic, directly proportionate to how he restricted her movement.

He straddled her and pinned the flailing arms. "ENOUGH!" Enishi roared, loosing his temper.

With tears pouring from her eyes, she stared up at him. "Enishi please don't."

He released her and sat back, cursing. At this rate, Tomoe would be angry with him again.

Sumi sat up, her voice cracking. "I'm sorry... I just...I'm scared and angry all at once.... Can you hold me?" When his arms encircled her, she admitted, "you make me feel safe."

"Do you trust me?"

"More than I trust myself."