Chapter forty-six

Start from the beginning

She and Gauri were in the car, driving to office together.

"They are going fine, Maaji" replied Gauri, a little surprised at the question.

"Hmm, then what's bothering you since morning. Don't try to lie, I know something has been on your mind since breakfast" said Jahnvi.

"Well, for a while now" admitted Gauri. "It's just...it's just I don't know how to explain to Omkaraji to not treat me with kid gloves. Actually, no, that's not correct. He doesn't know what I want because I can't explain to him what I want."

"What is it that you want?" asked Jahnvi.

"Everything. But I don't know if I am ready. And if I don't know, I can't blame him for asking me to wait and think. He's right, what if I'm actually not ready. But then again..." Gauri was cut-off here.

"...then again you can't know if you're ready unless you try. So, it's a chicken and egg problem" Jahnvi said more to herself. 

Gauri sighed. 

"So, that is all that is bothering you?" said Jahnvi. 

"Well, this is the main issue going over my mind. But there's also this, that Omkaraji is so...experienced, he has been in a long-lasting relationship before, he has been around the world, and I am just a naive, inexperienced girl from the village, that is, keeping aside my past which well, you know" Gauri breathed out.

Jahnvi couldn't help it, she giggled. But she sobered up quickly, and said, "Gauri, your traumatic past is all the more reason for you, and for my son, to wait. And if I know him well, he has infinite patience. Which he should. Your past is not a flaw or something lacking in you. Neither is the fact that you are from a village or anything else you said. You are perfect as you are, and Omkara admires you for who you are. You don't need to feel inadequate."

Gauri wasn't so easily consoled. "Maaji, your words are reassuring, but, oh, I don't know what to do about this."

"I know" said Jahnvi, an idea germinating in her mind. "Now, you put these distressing thoughts out of your mind. Focus on your work. Remember, what I taught you?"

"That we should keep professional and personal life separated" Gauri recited the rule she had grilled into her head. 

"Good girl."

******************************************************

"So, how do you feel, Mom?"

Omkara entered his mother's room, to check on her, after she returned from work. 

"Just as usual. A little tired, obviously, but very much enlivened by work" said Jahnvi.

Omkara looked at her seriously.

"Om, I am fine. You know, Gauri is right, you do seem to think of us women as fragile dolls" commented Jahnvi.

"Gauri, what?" Omkara was taken aback. Where did this come from?

"Just from something she told me this morning" Jahnvi unwounded the string.

"But Mom, I never....you know I never think of women as weak, especially not Gauri, I admire her strength, you know that" stammered Omkara.

"I never said weak, Gauri knows you are proud of her. No, I said fragile, delicate, and not in context of her character, it was in connection with something else" said Jahnvi.

"With what? What did Gauri tell you, Mom?" Omkara was anxious by this point.

"She didn't really tell me anything directly, more like let slip. She thinks you don't find her tough enough, you know, that maybe because you have been in relationships before, she's not good enough for you" Jahnvi let the words fall slowly.