This might not be the longest walk, but I need something to calm me so I don't resort to violence when I see Ben.

Times I call Ben an asshole: 1.

The leaf-less trees don't call for much shade on my rather hurried walk across campus, casting my eyes in the bright midday sun, slightly blinding me. Taking a shortcut through an alley positioned between two lecture halls, in a few strides, I have left the quarters of USC's campus. Now, walking down the cul-de-sac lined with sorority and fraternity houses, otherwise known as So-Fra cul-de-sac.

When I say this street is lined with sorority and fraternity houses, I am not exaggerating. On one street, the college has fit all of them onto one road. Not to mention, they are also just beside campus. They claim it is for safety precautions, but I am pretty sure the real reason so they can keep a close eye on them. Half of the shit the people in these houses are on the cusp of being legal and illegal.

Ben's fraternity house is at the very end of the cul-de-sac and as the familiar building comes into view, my body itches with the need to release some of the anger that has been building up over the past week and is now threatening to bubble over.

I walk up the asphalt driveway, striding through the ajar front door, open for anyone to walk right through like I am doing just now. Sparing a hasty glance to the group of boys crowded in the common room, I catch the gaze of Archie, one of Ben's frat brothers.

"Hey Brin," he says, halting the conversation with one of the other guys to talk to me from across the room, probably noticing my frazzled behaviour.

I offer him a tight-lipped smile, giving him a brief wave of the hand before rushing up the stairs, two at a time. Taking long strides down the hallway, past another one of Ben's frat brothers, a towel wrapped around his waist that almost drops when I walk right past him, I reach his door.

I stare at it, rethinking this whole thing. I can't leave now. Numerous people have seen me and will tell him about my appearance here, but... what if I end up caving and doing something insanely stupid?

No! You will not do that, Brinley.

You do not need Ben. You do not need any man, for that matter.

You are a strong, independent woman that shouldn't rely on a man to tend to any of her needs.

Lifting a fist, I give it one hesitant knock before pounding another time with more reassurance. I wait. And wait. And wait some more.

Though it seems like an eternity, I am sure it has only been—at most—thirty seconds.

Footsteps echo through the piece of wood, obstructing any view I have in the room and vice versa. The door opens and I fully expect to come face to face with Ben, hence my clenched fist I hadn't noticed was hanging by my side until now.

The look of shock that passes through Elijah's, Ben's roommate, face is almost comical. He keeps the door only slightly open, anticipating what my next move is going to be.

"Are you going to let me in?" I ask, growing exasperated whilst I wait to be invited in. All my feelings are heightened and I don't think right now is the correct time to be messing with me when all I want to do is scream.

Elijah glances over his shoulder and had he not done that, I probably would have believed that Ben wasn't here at the moment. He looks back at me, perusing my frame, gulping and opening the door to where I can access the room.

The first place I check is Ben's side of the room, finding him almost immediately. With his shady attire and unlively complexion, it may be hard to spot him amongst the dark bed sheets.