"Come in, I just need to grab my jacket and situate Claire."

She stepped in and looked around with a small smile on her face. I swallowed hard and looked over at Claire who was literally beaming as she looked between us.

"Hi, I'm Claire. I think you know that though. Are you Novie's girlfriend?"

"Claire!" I hissed as I glared at her causing her to snicker behind her hand as she shrugged. I looked at Sage with an apologetic look and she just smiled in response.

"I do know who you are, yes. It's nice to formally meet you." Sage grinned as she put her hand out. Claire nodded and gripped Sage's hand and shook it abruptly as if she was trying to assert dominance causing me to roll my eyes.

"Claire, we're leaving now. There's money in the drawer for you. Please call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Her curfew is eleven o'clock! Make sure she has fun please, it's been a while." Claire whispered the last part but I still heard her causing me to roll my eyes as I grabbed my coat.

"Here, let me." Sage breathed as she grabbed the coat from me gently and stood behind me. Her breath touched my neck and I nearly collapsed from the feeling, her hands grazing against my shoulders slightly as she slipped my coat over my shoulders. I swallowed hard and slipped my arms inside before turning around and smiling. Her eyes roamed my face as she smirked, before opening the door for me to step out.

"Eleven o'clock!" Claire yelled as we walked out causing me to roll my eyes as Sage chuckled under her breath.

"You look beautiful." She breathed as she opened the door for me. I smiled and stepped outside, letting out a breath as the cool air touched my exposed skin.

"And so do you." I replied back causing her to smirk. She opened the passenger door for me and I slipped in, watching as she ran to the other side causing me to chuckle.

"Let's go."

The gallery was elegant from the moment we stepped inside, our arms linked with each other's. I looked around in awe, the black ties and dresses filling my eyes more than the art work that was plastered against the walls. The music was something that I've only heard in movies and it made me smile slightly.

"Sage!" Someone yelled causing both of us to look over. It was the same woman that I saw her hug on campus, waving both of us over. She stood next to a tall man who sipped champagne. He was handsome, but older looking.

Hm.

"Hi Brooke!" Sage exclaimed as they both hugged, before pulling back. The man looked down at Sage and she nodded curtly, causing him to do the same.

They must not like each other.

"This is Novalie. Novalie this is Brooke." Sage introduced, causing Brooke to smile widely as she leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"I've heard so much about you. It's so nice to finally meet you." Sage cleared her throat loudly at the statement causing Brooke to chuckle. I shot Brooke a pleasant smile before looking over at her husband who was eyeing me up and down.

"This is my husband Austin. This is his gallery opening." Brooke stated. Austin continued to eye me with a smirk and I swallowed hard as I nodded.

"Nice to meet you."

"Likewise. Though you seem familiar."

No. Don't. Don't say that, please.

"Where could you possibly know her from? You've had a lot to drink, how about we view the gallery?" Brooke stated in confusion before Sage could intervene causing her to swallow hard and wrap an arm around my waist.

So Brooke doesn't know? She really did keep her promise. Wow.

"Come on, I'll get you a glass of champagne." Sage whispered in my ear causing me to nod. I glanced at Austin as I started to walk away, his eyes still on me with a smug smirk on his face causing me to grow uncomfortable.

There's only one way he's seen me before. Only one. And if he says it, I don't think I'll be able to face anyone for the rest of the night. I just wanted one night free from the scrutiny and lustful eyes.

Just one.

"You okay? He's an asshole I know. It's why I never come around, but Brooke wanted us to come-"

"She wanted you to come. I'm just your plus one." I whispered causing her to shake her head with a frustrated sigh.

"Not to me. You're not a plus one. You're my date."

I looked up at her with wide eyes and she nodded as she grabbed my hand causing me to swallow hard. A soft smile started to form on my face and I nodded.

"Yeah?"

"Okay." I breathed. She leaned in and kissed my cheek softly causing me to look away shyly, but she pushed my face forward so I can look at her causing me to gasp.

"We don't have to stay too long, okay? We can leave whenever you're ready, and I'll take you to dinner. Is that okay?"

"That sounds perfect."

Sage grinned with a nod and I felt myself become jittery. The butterflies were swarming in my stomach and my chest. I couldn't believe she considered this a date while I was doing everything in my power to convince myself that it wasn't.

I'm her date. I'm on a date with Sage. Sage with the pretty eyes. Oh God.

"Here. Let's go look at some art work, hm?" She asked as she handed me a glass of champagne. I nodded with a smile and she grabbed my hand, lacing her fingers with mine.

Dear God, I might just pass out.