Chapter 35

I thought the night was over...

After Nikolai and I danced and after talking to Alina I headed to my room. I was pretty happy but there was just one thing on my mind and I couldn't quite get over it.

Why did he have to court Alina? Why did everyone like her so much? I mean, I know why, she's amazing. But I couldn't help but be jealous.

I sat on my bed now just thinking about what tomorrow's plans were. Mal would be on his hunting trip. And I would be here with Alina. I'm not sure what we will be doing. Nikolai would be busy I probably wouldn't see him for a couple of days.

Knock Knock

"Come in."

"I had to see you."

"What?"

It was Nikolai standing in my doorway shutting the door quickly.

"Nik what are you doing?" I sat up quickly, "what's wrong? Did something happen? Is Alina alright?"

"Not everything is about Alina." He said.

"Yeah, I know that."

"You know you do this little thing with your nose when you're irritated. It twitches, it's funny."

"Nikolai! What do you want?" I rolled my eyes.

He sat at the end of my bed looking down at his hands... his fidgeting hands. Why is he here?

There was something up, he wasn't telling me. He never looked nervous he was always overly confident.

"What's wrong? You don't look good." Which was true his hair was messed up and his shirt was untucked.

"Well... There's this thing I'm having a hard time with." He struggled to say.

"Ok..."

"So, Alina..." And there it is.

"You just said this wasn't about her."

"I didn't quite say that I said not everything is about her."

"Whatever, spit it out."

"Ok Alina... I plan to marry her. It's my duty. It will help my country." He sighed looking away, "But there's something more important to me than this country, more important than Alina. And I need my blessing from this..  person to continue on with my plans."

"Oh really?" I didn't catch on to this I didn't not until he looked at me. "Oh."

He took my hand in his, "Nikolai... I what?" I was dumbfounded. He was looking at me with such sincerity, it was almost like he didn't want me to give him my blessing.

"I know this is sudden and I haven't seen you in years. But I have to tell you this and you need to listen. Seeing you these past weeks have been absolute hell." He began, "I won't tell you why I think you know why. But I'm not sure marrying Alina is the right thing to do. So..." He looked at me again.

It was silent for a long time. I didn't know what to say this was so sudden. And my heart wanted to say no don't marry her. But was it the right thing?