Chapter 25

"You're lucky you didn't get shot!" Mal told Alina

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"You're lucky you didn't get shot!" Mal told Alina. He was pacing in this rundown tent we were staying in. It was a Grisha camp next to Kribirsk. Tolya and Tamar were right outside. Keeping us safe or making sure we didn't flee. Who knows?

"You're just jealous," Alina said.

"Alina, you just punched a prince! And of course, I'm jealous. I want to punch him. Don't get me started on you," He pointed at me, "how do you know him? What was that little scene earlier?"

I rolled my eyes and sat back in my chair. "Don't get me started on you," I mocked, "Nikolai. My childhood friend. We were inseparable since we met each other. Then one day he was gone. One of my only friends left me. And you know what happened after that?"

Mal's face dropped. He knew what happened when he left. Vasily.

"Yeah, now watch your tone with me, you idiot."

We kind of had to stay with Nikolai because where else would we go? We were running from the Darkling. And he ensured a lot of help.

A servant entered the tent with food and drinks. It better not be fish again because I'll throw something if it is.

She sat down a pitcher of water, a bottle of kvas and glasses, marinated beets, stuffed eggs, smoke sprays on black bread. And a lot of plates of zakuski.

I was on top of the world. An actual meal.

Mal and Alina talked about how she stopped the light. She said it was because she was tired. And she kept lying. I don't know what happened but I was going to find out. But maybe not with Mal in the room. He'd get all 'TELL ME NOW.' And I didn't want that.

Alina sighed, "did the Volcra sound different to you guys?"

"No..." Mal and I answered.

"More human?"

I shook my head as did Mal.

"Cmon what happened Alina?" Mal pushed.

"I told you! I was tired. End of story."

"If you want to lie to me. Go ahead. But I'm not going to pretend to believe you." Mal shrugged. He was right about that. I didn't believe her either.

"Why not?" A voice said out of nowhere. Nikolai. They jumped to their feet turning towards him, ready to fight. But I slowly turned around in my chair with my arms crossed.

"Calm down," he put his hands in the air. He'd changed into a dry uniform. Two bruises began to form on his face. Good. Cautiously he took his sword off and hung it by the door of the tent.

"I'm just here to talk." He looked at me worriedly.

"Amelia, There is a tent ready for you. I will come and talk to you. I will explain what's going on. For now, let me talk to them."