2

The day everything started, or shall I say, ended, George was at work.

~

Sirens, much like those in horror movies (George compares the alarms to those from the movie, "The Purge") ring from across the city. The noise is unfamiliar, stilling George to his core.

He's a software developer, working in a cubicle among his coworkers. The whole office seems to freeze, pausing as the world changes forever.

The computer in front of George switches to a black screen with words that read, "Please stand by for the following announcement." The soft music that had been playing in the office, stops, as well as the sirens do to briefly make an announcement.

"Citizens of America, it has come to a point in time that war is the only answer, the solution to our problems.

"Now, this may seem harsh, so please remain calm. As the War begins, certain precautions must be taken.

"Unfortunately, enemy countries have deployed nuclear missiles, headed straight for America.

"Lockdown commences in one hour, so please report to the nearest bomb shelter and wait further instruction. Don't forget your identification. This is not a drill.

"Good luck, and stay safe. Do not fear, for the nation's defense will protect you."

George's heart stops, his hands shaking as his computer screen displays words in bold red: "Please report to the nearest bomb shelter for your safety."

Someone in the office screams fearfully, and everyone evacuates, leaving everything they have behind. George follows the flow of people, unable to concentrate as people talk loudly amongst themselves.

George pulls out his phone, fingers trembling as they dial the most recent number. Bringing the phone to his ear, his heart drops as it rings, and rings. And rings.

His mother's cheerful voice greets him, "Hey, you've reached my voicemail, please leave a message."

"No, no, no," George mutters, shoulders jostling past him.

People rush out of buildings like rivers, anxious to get to safety. George follows suit, a numbness settling over him. His knuckles are white as they clutch his identification badge tightly.

He approaches the bunker, constructed in the past year for this very occasion. George never thought it would get this far.

Members of the National Guard stand at the entry way of the bomb shelter, demanding proof of citizenship. George obliges, watching mutedly as some aren't allowed in.

As he's let through, George watches with horror as families are split. He's shoved forward by the people behind him, forced to walk down the many floors of stairs. His phone loses service the lower he goes, and soon he's seated among anxious people.

He sits next to a younger looking woman, her dark eyes wide with fear. Her long, black hair is tied back with a scrunchy, small carrot patterns printed among the fabric. George offers a weak smile, his hands clenching nervously in his lap.

"I'm Tina," the woman says, voice soft and filled with apprehension. "I can't believe the world has come to this."

"Me neither," George replies. After a moment, he introduces, "George."

They shake hands. Tina asks, "How long do you think we'll be down here, George?"

"I have no idea."