eight.

"careful, mi vida.." camilo whispered, holding my hand tightly. "mhm.." i hummed, carefully stepping towards the cutout of the hourglass.

"uh casita..? can you turn of the.. sand?" i asked as i put my hand under the flow of sand, letting it fall through my fingers.

a big ruckus sounded from behind camilo and i, making us turn around. casita was moving a bunch of tiles loudly.

"you can't help us in here..?" i asked. casita gently let some tiles fall back to the floor, obviously sad before rattling all over again.

"we'll be fine," camilo smiled as he squeezed my hand. "we have to do this.. for you.." camilo started, talking to casita before looking over at me. "for abuela.." i continued, moving towards the sand. camilo paused, making me look back at him. "maybe a little for us," he smirked, i smiled back and nodded.

as camilo and i reached the falling sand, he moved closer to the edge, lost his footing and slipped. i caught him by his elbows, forming a slope of ice so it was easier, and brought him back close to me.

"careful, huh?" i teased with a smirk on my face. camilo's face turned more red than i've seen from him as he swallowed harshly, staring at me, our faces dangerously close. camilo's breath shook as his eyes flickered around my face, hovering near my lips at times.

after a moment, the ice slope i made disappeared, making camilo yelp as he fell and dragged me down with him.

camilo and i grunted as we tumbled down and hill of sand, one final huff coming out of both of us as we finished rolling, camilo laying on top of me.

"ow.." i mumbled, my voice strained as camilo pushed himself up and hovered over me. both of our faces heated up as camilo scrambled to get off of me and stand. with his hand held out for me to take, camilo ran his other through his hair, getting some sand out. i took camilo's hand and he hoisted me up, looking up at the tower of stairs.

"that's a lot of stairs.." camilo whispered. "yeah.." i mumbled back, looking around. i smiled as an idea came to mind. i stomped the ground and a sheet of ice formed under us.

"you don't use the other forms of water that much do you?" camilo asked, looking over at me. i smirked and waved my hand in a circle before clenching it into a fist. a bubble of water formed over camilo's head, exploding down onto him and soaking him. camilo gasped and slightly held his arms out as his shoulders raised.

"i guess not," i smiled teasingly. camilo looked up at me while laughing breathlessly as he shook his arms to get excess water off.

i stomped the ground once more and two pillars of ice began to raise up from under us, bringing us closer to the top. camilo yelped slightly but kept his balance as he looked around.

once we reached where the stairs ended, i hopped off the ice pillar and looked over, seeing a gaping trench in the way of camilo, me and the door.

camilo stumbled as he landed next to me and when he looked up and saw our small problem, he deadpanned a very cut and dry, "what."

i laughed as i looked over at him, a smile forming on his face from my laughs. camilo punched my arm softly and stepped closer to the chasm, looking down at how far it would go.

"so how are we going to do this?" camilo asked. i rubbed a couple of my fingers together, making icy magic flurry around them before waving my hand, an ice bridge forming over the chasm.

"is it safe..?" camilo asked. i shrugged and stepped on the snow covered ice, the snow blowing away from my step and revealing crystal clear ice. i stepped once more, more of the snow blowing away.