Chapter 54

Han's Country

The news about Duke Su's taking off his masks has spread all over the country. They always thought that his face is ugly with a scars but it is totally opposite what they thought. It has even become a trend to draw on their own face.

The trend started with Xu Ling Ai drawing a small butterfly on her cheek. The young ladies in the country instantly thought it is beautiful that they started to put some colours and make up their face with some arts.

Xu Ling Ai have never been happier that Li Zhao had confidently embrace the mark on his face. However, being happy doesn't stop her in trying to develope the antidote. She is determined in curing her husband. She couldn't bare seeing him enduring pain every full moon.

"Princess Consort! We have arrived!Are you ready to get down?" A servant shouted snapped her out of her deep thought.

"Yes! I'm coming!" Fixing her robe a bit and she went out.

After the shocking news of Li Zhao's taking off his masks, another rumour strike the country.

A negotiation will happen today between Nothern Xiongnu and the Han country.

All the imperial family and the officials were command to attend the ceremony in welcoming the leader of Nothern Xiongnu.

The emperor even tighten up the security because mongolians full of tricks.

Chills can be feel when she walk through the hall. All of the officials seems to be murmuring with each other.

Xu Ling Ai walk to the direction where all the woman gather and sat beside her sister Xu Jia Wen. Earning a snicker from Xu Jia Wen, Xu Ling Ai decided to let it go when she saw Xu Jia Wen's unwell state.

"Are you sick?" Xu Ling Ai start a conversation. She knows how Duke Chen mistreated Xu Jia Wen. Everyone knows but nothing can be done. Even though she don't like Xu Jia Wen, but she still feels unfortunate for Xu Jia Wen to be married to a man like Li Jun Yi.

"Stop pretending to be kind. You're happy to see me like this isn't it?!" Xu Jia Wen's whispered was a bit loud.

"I-" Xu Ling Ai was cut off by the announcement of the Nothern Xiongnu arrival.

A group of people walked in with their head high with no fears. A young man was accompanied by his guards which indicates that he is the leader.

The officials start to look carefully at the Nothern Xiongnu leader which seem so young. Before, they've only heard his name which is Chanyu. This is the first time Chanyu had ever make an appearance.

"We finally met." A line from Chanyu cause a commotion. Han people was mad that he did not show any respect in front of their ruler. Neither did he greet the emperor.

"Silent." The emperor instruct them to shut up. He knows that Chanyu purposely provoke them.

"Why are y'all so rigid? We are here to make peace isn't it?" Chanyu snorted.

"Have a seat." The servants then proceed to serve Chanyu with a cup of tea.

"I will go straight to the point. Your Majesty what will you offer to exchange for a peace between us?" Chanyu sit with much glorious.

"Imprudent!" The eunuch instantly get mad at the young man.

Before the emperor could say anything, Chanyu divert his attention to Li Zhao who has been staying there silently.

"Duke Su I heard you are the master mind of this country." His remark bring a gasps among the spectators. They couldn't believe that Chanyu indirectly degraded the emperor under Li Zhao.

"Mind your words mongolians. You might not be able to get out alive." Li Zhao fearless response increase the tensions inside the hall.

Li Zhao is indeed surprised by Chanyu's identity. He failed to find out his real identity. He is somehow worried how will Xu Ling Ai react.

Li Zhao is indeeed thankful that Chanyu once save Xu Ling Ai but he won't forgive him for lying to Xu Ling Ai who is very sincere on their friendship.

The emperor could sense that Li Zhao will leave the hall in any minute if this keep going on. Li Zhao never agreed on having a peace treat between the countries because he knew it will never happen.

Chanyu chuckle ringing through the hall. "You must be Duke Chen are you?" He look at Li Jun Yi who seems to be very restless.

"Yes! Why? Do you have any problem with me?" Duke Chen replied.

"Later, we will know if I have any problem with you or not." Chanyu smirked.

Chanyu's eyes lay down on the cup of tea that the servant serves. Something is definitely wrong with the tea. He knows that is why he decided to drag their conversation.

Picking up his cup slowly, Chanyu pretending to knock off the small table while dropping the cup and it shattered down on the floor.

However, a scary picture came in. The tea which spilled on the ground met with a silver chopstick and it turned black! Which indicates that the tea was poisoned!

"How dare you try to poison our leader?!" Ganba stand in stance to protect Chanyu.

All the imperial guards also takes out their swords in defence. The situation had worsen the whole peace making.

"There must be a misunderstanding!" The emperor try to calm all the people in the hall down. He then asked the eunuch to check the tea.

The eunuch turn pale white when he look at the silver turn black. This instantly confirm that someone tried to poison Chanyu.

"Protect His Majesty!" Duke Chen shouted while pretending not to panicked.

"I am the one who is being poisoned, not your emperor. Also why do you keep pretending Duke Chen?" Chanyu smirked at Duke Chen.

The only who can keep his cool at this point is Li Zhao. He knew that Chanyu never came for a treaty peace. Nothern Xiongnu's grudge towards Han will never end for sure. Unless there is bloods. He notice Chanyu keep turning his words and kept provoking them. But one thing for sure is Li Zhao don't know what Chanyu actually want.

P.S.
I currently enjoy watching K-Drama "Business Proposal" Did you guys watch it?

And please stay safe and be healthy!

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R