Chapter 23

'It's time for actress Xu Ling Ai to make a comeback.'

Xu Ling Ai walk carefully towards the empress direction. Today she decided to feign weakness to let Empress Yi let her guard down.

Her goal was to control the empress and overcome her. She could appear strong if she wanted to but it wouldn't be fun.

"This lowly servant were very honoured to be here Your Majesty." Xu Ling Ai bow her head down to the empress.

Xu Ling Ai was about to sit beside the Empress but she suddenly told her to sit a bit far away from her. Which is on the ground.

"Sit there. I have a very important guest later to sit here. You won't mind right?" Empress Yi question Xu Ling Ai but she wasn't planning to accept her answer. Xu Ling Ai just nodded.

"How is your new life? It's good to be a Princess Consort right." Empress Yi clearly mocking Xu Ling Ai.

"It was all thanks to Your Majesty generosity or I wouldn't be able to reach the position I am right now." Xu Ling Ai's tone were very coward and humble.

But no one know she was burning inside. This old witch who were matchmaking her with someone she didn't know. Fortunately it was Li Zhao. But what if she was bestowed a marriage with a pervert old man?

"Good thing that you know your place. Minister Xu is good in teaching his daughters." Empress Yi said it while sipping the tea again. Never once did she offer the tea to Xu Ling Ai.

'Daughters? Means this old witch knew Xu Jia Wen and Xu Li Mei.' She thought silently.

"Here's a small gift from me as Li Zhao's mother for you." Empress Yi suddenly asked the Eunuch to give her a small box.

The eunuch hand it over to Xu Ling Ai. She was somehow taken aback by the empress sudden gesture. Is she trying to bribe Xu Ling Ai?

"Even though I feel burden accepting your gift, I will accept it with wide open heart." Xu Ling Ai smile widely when she saw the gift.

It was a hair pin and it seems priceless. She could sell it to gain some money.

If the empress is using the gift to lure Xu Ling Ai, she did the right thing. Xu Ling Ai were jobless and poor right now. She don't want to keep receiving things from Li Zhao.

The empress smirk evilly looking at the girl in front of her. The way she held the hair pin and her eyes shine bright.

'Another materialistic peasant. Even an old and used hair pin make her happy.' Empress Yi laugh mentally.

"This empress can give you more if you want." The empress added when she saw Xu Ling Ai's excitement.

Empress Yi laugh at herself because she really had overestimated the girl in front of her. The story that the people spread must be a lie.

Everyone in the country had heard about Xu Ling Ai's and the man fight in the town. However, until now the empress and the emperor couldn't confirm the news yet.

'Maybe the news is false. How could a weak lady like Xu Ling Ai fight a man?'

"This is more than enough Your Majesty." Xu Ling Ai again smile genuinely at Empress Yi.

"Is there anything else more Your Majesty? If not, this lowly servant will take her leave first." Xu Ling Ai wanting to leave as soon as possible if she could.

"How dare you talk to Empress Yi like that! You can only leave when Her Majesty allow you to!" Suddenly a nanny named Hu Mama who had served Empress Yi for years interrupted.